Chapter Eighty-One: Clara's First Birthday (Part 1)

Grace (Mama) POV:

It's official. Clara's been with us for exactly one year! It's her birthday today. It was a challenge to figure out how to celebrate it, though. In all technicalities, she is nineteen but, she is our little girl. Clara has a mind of a toddler, so we decided to make it her first birthday.

Overnight, the boys and I decorated the whole house pink. I'm talking about the whole house. The hallways, rooms, and even Calisto's office, is decorated in pink balloons, streamers line the hallways, there's even pink glitter everywhere.

My favorite part is her bedroom. We spent a lot of money on toys. They're all strewn about her room, Along with a giant banner that says, 'Happy Birthday Clara!'

All this was done before Clara even woke up. She slept peacefully as we trailed in and out of her bedroom, setting presents down on the floor.

Another part of her birthday that I suspect Clara will love, is that Arabella and Geoff are flying in for a couple weeks. They wouldn't miss Clara's first birthday for anything.

Even Harold chipped in. He stayed up all night making Clara a three tier, pink, sparkly birthday cake. It's completed with a matching, small smash cake for Clara to play with. It's beautiful and the perfect cake for our little girl.

Now, all that need to be done is for Clara to wake up. She's sleeping soundly in her crib as the boys and I stand around, talking quietly to each other.

It's not long before Clara starts to stir. She wiggles around in her sleep sack, then rolls over onto her tummy. The pacifier that's in her mouth gets pushed out by her tongue. A soft whine escapes my baby as she rubs her cheek against the soft sheet of her crib.

I slowly walk over to the crib and lean over it, rubbing my hand across Clara's back. "Baby girl, it's time to wake up. Mama and Daddies have a surprise for you." I whisper softly.

Clara whines a little bit more, but slowly sits up. She rubs her eyes, then starts to cry a little bit. Not the reaction I was expecting, but she still isn't fully awake yet.

"Look around, princess. Mama and Daddies did all of this for you." Atticus says from the back of the room.

Our daughter, of course isn't liking any of this. She's tired, cranky, and probably hungry.

Clara flops herself back down onto her bed dramatically. Before she can even start full on crying, I lean down and scoop her up in my arms. My baby definitely isn't a morning person.

"Do you want some milky so you can wake up?" I ask Clara.

All she does is rub her face in my boobs and try to pull down my pink shirt. I chuckle and move to sit in the rocking chair. Calisto takes a seat next to me as I raise my shirt and unlatch my nursing bra.

My baby latches on eagerly, sucking strongly. She's breathing heavily out of her nose, slowly falling back asleep. I gently shake her leg to keep her awake, then lean back in the chair.

Calisto reaches over and strokes Clara's cheek with his thumb. She grunts unhappily, reaching up to slap his hand away.

"That's going to put her to sleep, Cal. Not wake her up." I gently chastise.

Calisto groans, snatches his hand away, then smooths it down the front of his matching pink shirt. All of us are wearing pink today. Our shirts all have my favorite picture of Clara on them with the number one on them.

The picture is of Clara smiling directly at the camera. We were outside during summer, the sun shining directly behind her. My baby is wearing a two piece bathing suit, a sun hat, and a cute pair of pink sunglasses. There's a rosy tint to her cheeks, and two dimples are prominent next to her lips.