Chapter Fifty: Granddaughter

(This is a reupload of my previous chapter because there was some comments I couldn't get rid of. There will still be a new update today.)

Calisto (Daddy) POV:

Gently picking Clara up out of her baby swing, I move her over to her car seat. It's too early to be awake and yet, here we are preparing for a flight to Xeoph. Clara gets to sleep through it all and I'm a little bit jealous. I try not to jostle Clara too much while I pull her arms through the straps.

Buckling the last buckle in, I place a blanket over her legs, and put a pacifier in her mouth. "I'm so tired." Grace whines, looking like she's about to cry.

Grace was up late last night with Clara because Clara was being clingy. She would cry whenever Grace put her down and refused to nurse. We all managed to get to bed around 11:00 P.M. Now it's four in the morning and we're all running on coffee and energy drinks.

"I know, babe. I am too, we can all sleep on the plane." I reply, picking up Clara's car seat off the floor and placing it on the bed.

Dechen and Atticus walk out of the bathroom at the same time and both head to the closet. The sounds of them arguing sound though the room and Clara whines, wiggling around in her carseat. I march over to the closet and throw open the doors. "If you guys wake the baby up, I'm going to be pissed."

Dechen apologizes and Atticus looks down at the floor with his arms crossed over his chest. "Sorry, it's my fault." Atticus whispers.

"Apology accepted. Hurry up and get dressed, Neil will be here soon." With that said, I turn on my heel and walk out of the room.

Grace is touching up her makeup with one hand while she rocks Clara's car seat with the other. I lean back against the wall with my legs crossed and my hands in my pockets. I love watching Grace be a mother. Just this simple act of her making sure Clara is comfortable while she applies powder to her face amazes me.

"I can feel you staring." Grace says while closing her compact mirror.

Walking up behind Grace, I wrap my arms around her waist. "I couldn't help it. I love watching you be a Mom and do tasks most people have to use both hands for."

Grace snuggles her back against my chest and hums contently. I press a kiss against the back of her neck and gently sway us side to side. Our moment of peace is broken by a knock on our door. Sighing, I let Grace go and open our bedroom door. Standing there is Neil and several of our guards.

"Good morning, Sir. I'm here to escort you and your family to the airplane." Neil says, bowing his head a little bit and stepping to the side so I can exit the room.

"Thank you, Neil. We'll be right there." I turn my back but leave the door open. Dechen grabs Clara's diaper bag while i heft Clara's car seat up my arm.

"Ready, babe?" I ask Grace.

She nods and picks up her purse and shuts off our bedroom light. We quickly walk to the elevator and Neil presses the button to go down to the ground floor. Grace slides up beside me and tucks the blanket closer to Clara.

Clara startles a little bit and we all hold our breaths, waiting to see if she'll wake up. When she wiggles her body but stays asleep we all breathe a sigh of relief. If Clara were to wake up now, there's no way we would be able to sleep on the airplane.

Neil escorts us out of the elevator, out the east wing door, and to the small jet that's waiting for us. The door to the jets already open with the stairs down. Walking into the airplane, I place Clara's car seat in the base and sigh.