Chapter Thirty-Seven: Terrible Twos

Grace (Mama) POV:

After Clara's swing tantrum, she refused to get anywhere near me. In her little toddler brain, she thinks that it's my fault I put her in timeout. Although it was Atticus that put her in timeout. All I did was start the timer.

I honestly think she's hitting her terrible twos. It was a old earth saying that honestly applies to Clara. She's been clinging to her Dada and Papa all day. I can guarantee that once Calisto's off of work, she'll be all over him too. It's mildly upsetting but I hope that she'll get over it soon.

The part that really upsets me is that she won't even nurse. Clara's taking her afternoon nap right now, but she needs to eat. She had a bottle but that was about it. She even threw a tantrum when Dechen tried to hand her over to me.

"You're thinking too hard. She's just throwing a fit because you didn't let her get away with hitting me." Atticus says, rubbing my stiff shoulders.

"I just want to hold her. She's never shut me out like this before." I whisper, hanging my head.

"Babe, seriously she's two. Once she's awake from her nap she'll be begging to be held by you." Dechen adds.

"You're probably right. I'll get her from her nap. It'll be best if you guys don't follow me in." I sigh, leaning back into Atticus.

"I'm always right." Dechen says cockily.

"Don't go acting all smug now. I can name several times you were wrong, just yesterday." I tease him.

"I can name several times he was wrong within the last hour." Atticus laughs.

"So now it's 'gang up on Dechen day' I thought we all agreed to pick on Atticus? He's the weird one." He says, reaching over the back of the couch to smack the back of Atticus's head.

"Dude, not cool." Atticus snaps, rubbing the back of his head.

"Why is it that it's always you two fighting?" I ask.

"Because Calisto is the President and thinks he always needs to carry himself with maturity. He never wants to joke and play around with us. Dude needs to pull that stick out of his a-" Reaching over, I slap my hand over Dechen's mouth.

"His so high strung because he keeps our family and our country safe. He works all day, hardly getting any time with Clara. If he heard you say that, he would probably give you a good right hook across the jaw." I say through gritted teeth.

"Dude, you messed up now." Atticus chuckles.

"Shut up." Dechen murmurs, having the grace to look ashamed.

"That's what I thought. I'm going to go check on my baby now." Standing up, I make my way out of the room.

Opening Clara's door, I see her wiggling a little bit. I make my way over to her crib and start to rub her belly. "You ready to wake up, princess?" I whisper softly.

Clara moves away from my hand and sucks harder on her pacifier. "Gu 'way. Cwara seepin." She tries to turn over on her back but I stop her.

"Clara's sleeping? I guess I'm just going to have to give milky to somebody else." I shrug my shoulders and pretend to leave the room.

"Nu!" Clara wiggles in her sleep sack, stretching her arms above her head. She's so cute when she stretches, her chubby cheeks press against her raised arms, making her face look even chunkier.

"Mama." Clara says, raising her arms out to me after her stretch.

I pick Clara up and quickly change her diaper, then move her over to the rocking chair. She doesn't make a move to nurse so I just cuddle her, rocking us slowly. I didn't redress her after her diaper change, so her warm body is curled into mine.