Chapter Twenty-One: Grandparents

Clara POV:

My head turns toward the door where a lady that looks just like Mama stands. She has Mama's brown hair but blue eyes. I look to the man standing next to her. He has blonde hair and green eyes. They look like Mama's eyes.

The lady starts to approach me and I freak out. I crawl as fast as I can towards Dada and hold my arms up. Dada picks me up and starts to pat my back.

"Sorry, she's really shy. She's also been through a lot recently. She's really wary of strangers. Just be patient and she'll eventually let you hold her. Also, it's close to her nap time so she's cranky." Dada tells the people.

"Hey Clara. I'm your Mawmaw and that old fart over there is Papi. We're your Mommy's parents." The lady explains.

I take my head out of the crook of Dadas neck and stare at the lady. She looks nice and she's smiling at me.

"Hey! I am not old. I'm just in my prime." The man says while crossing his arms. His bottom lip is sticking out a little bit making me giggle. He looks like he's about to throw a tantrum.

"Pshhh. You're way past your prime. But whatever makes you feel better." The lady says.

"I heard that giggle little girl. Can I hold you please." Mawmaw says. She's giving me sad eyes. I don't want her to cry so I lean out of Dada's arms towards her.

Mawmaw picks me up and gives me a big kiss on my cheek. I give her a kissy on her cheek in return.

"Awe. Thank you for the kiss baby. Can you give Papi a kiss?" She turns her body to the side so I'm facing Papi. I lean over and give him a kiss too.

Mawmaw, Papi, and I play for a little bit when I start to get thirsty. I climb into Mawmaw's lap and try to tug down her shirt. Mawmaw slaps her hand down on her chest preventing me from pulling her shirt down further. She gently removes my fingers from the neckline of her shirt.

"Baby, you can't do that. Dechen, why is she trying to get into my shirt?"

"She's probably thirsty. Grace breastfeeds her and she hasn't really been around other women. I think she thinks all women have milk. Can you watch her for five minutes while I track down Grace?" Dada asks.

"Sure. You know we love our grandbaby."

Dada leaves the room and I start to cry. I throw myself out of Mawma's lap and onto the floor. Flailing my arms and legs as tears fall from my eyes.

I don't understand. Why couldn't she give me milky. I faintly hear Mawmaw and Papi trying to calm me down but I just want milky. Eventually, I feel somebody pick me up off the ground.

"It's alright Mama's here." Mama pushes my face into her neck and walks over to the rocking chair. She sits down and moves me around so she can lift up her shirt. As soon as her boobie holder is undone, I latch on.

"Calm down baby. It's not going anywhere." Mama says while brushing my hair out of my face.

I slow down my sucking and stare up at Mommy while I eat.

"That's Mama's good girl." Mama takes her eyes off me and looks towards Mawmaw and Papi.

"I'm sorry about that Mom and Dad. She's just getting over being sick on top of losing her teeth this morning. She'll probably fall asleep while she's nursing. After she's done, I'll put her in her sling so she's close to me. I'm not letting her lay by herself for a while.

"When she got sick I found her in her crib choking on her own vomit. It was horrible. She's sleeping in our bed and we plan to have her nap in her sling. It's was our worst nightmare come true."

I tune Mama's talking out and keep drinking. I feel my eyes become heavy but fight going to sleep. I wanna stay with Mawmaw and Papi.

I stop drinking and look up at Mama. "Mawmaw and Papi stway?" I ask.

"Yes baby. Mawmaw and Papi will be here when you wake up."

Satisfied with Mama's answer I go back to sucking on her boobie. This time when my eyes get heavy, I let them close.