Chapter Thirty-Four: Waiting Game

Calisto (Daddy) POV:

We've officially been in this facility for four days now. Today, I'm going to stand in front of cameras and speak out for the first time since the attack. Grace, Atticus, and Dechen have woken up. They're okay, and so are the King and Queen.

The only person who isn't okay, is Clara. While we had broken bones and concussions, we heal quickly because of us not being human. We can get injured and bounce back within a day or two. Clara is human. She can't bounce back like we can.

Clara's residing in a incubator right now. She lost a lot of blood. We can't hold her and even if we wanted to, we would could further injure her if we tried. The incubator keeps her warm and germs away from her tiny body. She can't even nurse right now, all of Grace's milk that she pumps goes straight into a feeding tube inserted through Clara's nose.

Clara still hasn't woken up, we spend hours around her little incubator, just staring at her. The doctors tell us that the more she sleeps, the more she heals. All I want is for her to open her eyes.

"Are you ready?" My press manager asks me.

"Yes, let's get this done." This morning, I was taken out of the secure facility in a helicopter. I had to be moved to the studio to do a press conference. There will be no live audience, no questions asked by greedy reporters, just me speaking live to the public.

I walk up to the podium and adjust the papers in front of me. Looking straight into the camera, I start my speech.

"Four days ago, my family was attacked in our own home. The place where people should feel the safest. My family and I were awoken at 4:30 in the morning by our security. We were rushed to the bunker in our basement. For a while, everything was calm. Until it wasn't. The terrorists, yes I do use the word terrorists because that's what they are, blew through the metal door of the bunker.

"The explosion threw all of us back. This includes the King and Queen of Xeoph, who were at our house for a visit. Everybody except King Geoff and I, were knocked unconscious. The terrorists attempted to kidnap Clara. The only reason she's alive today is to the credit of the Royal Guard.

"They quickly neutralized all but one terrorist. After heavy interrogation, the terrorists revealed their vile plans for Clara. I will not go into details about this. Just know, it was enough to make me vomit.

"Multiple guards gave up their lives to protect my family and I. They will be buried with the highest honors. They died hero's. I have spoken to each and everyone of their family's, making sure they know that I could never repay them for their service.

"King Geoff, Queen Arabella, Grace, Dechen, and Atticus, are all healthy and fully recovered. That's not to say the same for Clara. Clara is human and the injuries she sustained, almost killed her. Due to a terrorists sick plan, my daughter is laying in a incubator fighting for her life.

"Our house was supposed to be impenetrable. We were lied to by my former security advisor, Ronald. Ronald was cutting corners and not properly doing his job.

"This country was founded on being safer, better, and kinder than when the humans ruled. My values have not changed. We will persevere and move past this tragedy. Please keep Clara and the families of of deceased guards in your thoughts. Thank you."

Wiping my eyes, I step down off the podium. I need to get back to my babygirl. "Let's go, I want to see Clara."

Grace POV:

Looking at Clara in her incubator, I weep softly. She's covered in tubes and her little eyes are closed. I can't even hold her. I just want my babygirl to open her eyes and smile at me. She's so still, her only movement the subtle up and down movements of her breathing.