Chapter Sixty-Nine: Needles and Tears

Dechen (Dada) POV:

A sharp kick to my stomach wakes me up out of my peaceful sleep. I turn my head and see Clara fast asleep beside me. She's sprawled out in the middle of our bed and sucking on a pacifier. Her legs are kicking out in her sleep and she keeps turning back and forth on the bed.

That must've been what woke me, Clara's thrashing legs. That's the downside of sleeping with the baby, she likes to kick her legs out and spread out on a bed that's already overcrowded.

I carefully sit up and pick Clara up. She mumbles a little bit in her sleep, but doesn't wake up. If I'm quick and careful enough, I can move her to the swing.

That was the plan anyways. As soon as I stood up from the bed, Clara's eyes shot open and a large wail left her mouth.

"Shhh, it's okay. Go back to sleep, princess." I coo while rocking her back and forth.

Clara's cries escalate in volume and Grace grumbles from the bed. She's still asleep but her arm stretches out on the mattress, searching for Clara. When her hand only connects with air, Grace shoots up out of bed in search for her baby.

I watch as her tense shoulders relax when she sees Clara in my arms. "Why is the baby awake, Dech?" She asks over the sound of our still crying baby.

"She was kicking me in her sleep and I decided to move her to the swing. She woke up when I stood up." I explain while bouncing Clara.

Grace extends her arms and makes grabby hands at me. I walk over to her side of the bed and gently place Clara in her arms. The baby instantly calms and nuzzles her face into Grace's breasts. "She's in newborn headspace, Dech."

How did Grace know that with one look at Clara? "How do you know?" I ask.

"Her heads floppy and she's nuzzling into my breasts, rooting around for my nipple." Grace explains while pulling up her night shirt.

Milk is already leaking out of her pink nipple and she guides her breast towards Clara's mouth. "There you go, princess." Grace whispers when Clara latches on.

I slide back into bed and Grace lays down beside me on her side. Clara clearly doesn't like the movement because she whines and snuggles closer to her Mama. "She's precious. I love her so much." Grace comments while stroking Clara's chubby cheek.

Our little girl is sucking away, her chin moving with the action. "What do we have planned for tomorrow?" I whisper.

"We have to take Clara to the pediatrician. She's due for a checkup and her doctor doesn't do home visits. Not even for the President. But he's the best out there and his specialty is in human Littles." Grace replies.

Great, a doctors visit means shots, which means a cranky baby. "I'm not looking forward to this. We all know he'll give Clara shots and then she'll be pissed off at us for the rest of the day. Knowing her, she'll try and get Neil to give us a whooping." I comment with a chuckle.

That's exactly something Clara would do. Our little girl has a temper on her. She tries to get Neil to do her dirty work. Just the other day, she was mad at Grace for making Clara eat her broccoli, and our princess called Neil into the room and told him to give Grace a spanking.

When I tell you that Neil looked like he was actually contemplating it, I'm not lying. He would do almost anything for Clara. After that, we had a talk with Clara about calling Neil into the room for pointless endeavors.

Clara didn't see it as pointless, though. In her eyes, Grace deserved to be punished for making sure she stays healthy. Clara can sometimes be dramatic. I think it's the red head in her. Calisto thinks it's the toddler in her, but of course he would say that, he's a hot headed red head too.