Chapter Thirty-Nine: Baby's First Tooth

Grace (Mama) POV:

The shrill cries of Clara come through the baby monitor, waking all of us up. Turning over with a loud groan, I look at the clock. 1:30 A.M. Just great. Throwing the heavy comforter off myself, I make my way into Clara's room. She's crying her little heart out, chewing on her fist.

"Awe, what's the matter, princess." I coo as I pick Clara up from her crib.

Checking her diaper, I see that it's dry. That's not the problem. Maybe she just had a bad dream? "Do you want to come to Mama and Daddies room?" I ask her.

Clara's only response is to cry harder. I hold her close to my chest, gently bouncing, and make my way back to my bedroom. Two of three of my husbands are already awake and sitting up in bed. "What's wrong, love?" Calisto asks, stretching his arms out to take Clara.

Instead of going to her Daddy like she normally would, she curls further into my body and cries harder. I honestly didn't think it was possible to cry harder, but she surprised me.

Calisto looks hurt but understands. Sometimes Clara just wants her Mama.

"Did she need changed?" Atticus muffles, his head covered with a pillow trying to block out Clara's cries.

"No, I don't know what's wrong." I respond.

I keep bouncing Clara but it's not helping. Maybe nursing her will help? I sit on the foot of my bed and lift my shirt, pulling Clara's fist out of her mouth. It's then I see the problem, a little tiny baby tooth is poking up from her bottom gum. Great, she's getting her new teeth in.

"Found the problem." I announce.

"What is it?" Dechen grunts. Out of all my men, Dechen handles being woken up the worst.

"She's getting her new teeth in." I answer.

"Crap, that means a cranky baby until they all come in." Calisto groans.

Guiding Clara's head to my breast, I help her latch on. The first thing I feel is pain. Clara's little bottom tooth is scraping the underside of my areola. Just what I was afraid of. "I don't want to hear it, all she's going to want to do is nurse. It already hurts." I snap.

"Sorry, babe. I didn't mean it like that." Calisto's cheeks turn red and he lays back down.

"She's sleeping with us tonight." I tell the men.

"That's fine, get up here." Atticus pats the spot next to him in the middle of the bed, inviting me to climb in.

I scoot up the bed with Clara and lay on my side so she can still nurse. Calisto claps to turn off our lights and cuddles into my back. Clara's still awake and staring up at my face, little droplets of milk falling from her mouth. "Is that better?" I ask her.

Clara rubs her eyes and snuggles closer to me. I'll take that as a yes. I pull the blanket up over the both of us and close my eyes. Hopefully, Clara will see I'm trying to go to sleep and follow suit.

The next morning I wake up with sore breasts and a whiny baby. Clara's still asleep, her eyes still closed, but she's rooting around for my nipple. I'm hurting so much but put my nipple back in her mouth.

I let out a painful grunt when she starts to suck and feel somebody rubbing my back. "Are you okay, babe?" Calisto inquires.

"Yes, I'm sore because she nursed all night and her new little tooth scrapes a little bit. I'll be fine." I tell him.

"You're such a good Mom. Clara's lucky to have you." He whispers in my ear, looking over my shoulder to look at Clara.

"She lucky to have all of us. I'm just the unlucky one who has to have boobs." I joke.