Chapter Forty-Two: Little Miss Trouble

Grace (Mama) POV:

After Dechen, Atticus, and I finished our movie, we decided to lay Clara down for her nap. We put Clara in her baby swing in our bedroom and left the door cracked so the hallway light would shine through. So imagine my surprise, when I was waking past our bedroom to grab something from down the hall, and I hear rummaging coming from my bathroom.

Turning on my heel, I make my way into the bathroom where Clara has made an absolute mess. I have no idea how she got out of her baby swing, but here she is covered in baby powder, and my old makeup that was under the sink.

Clara looks like she had a ball with it too. At the bottom of the walls where Clara can reach, are smears of lipstick and various items of makeup scribbled on the walls. Baby powder is all over the floor, the outside of our formally white bathtub is covered in little multicolored handprints, and the cabinets are a mess as well.

"Clara Rose Silva! Did you make this mess?" Upon heading my voice, Clara jumps and crawls around. I clearly startled her.

Instead of being truthful, Clara just shrugs her shoulders and shakes her head no. "Nu, Mama. Papa did." She answers.

"Papa made this mess?" I ask.

"Yesth, Mama." Clara nods, clearly thinking she got away with her lie.

"Are you lying to me, Clara?" I put my hands on my hips to show her I'm getting stern.

"Nu! Papa did!" She says, putting her own little hands on her hips.

"So, if I go get Papa he'll tell me he did it?" I prod, hoping that Clara will fess up and tell me the truth.

If I keep it real with myself, I know that she won't. Clara is two, she doesn't understand reasoning. She just learned the difference between a truth and a lie but it hasn't stuck yet.

"Yesth, Papa twell chu." Clara nods, satisfied with her own answer.

I stare at her for ten seconds hoping she'll change her mind, and when she doesn't, I call Atticus's phone. "What's up, hot stuff?" He answers.

"Can you come into our bathroom. Our daughter seems to have made a mess and she told me you did it." I explain.

"Be right there." Atticus laughs, hanging up the phone.

Thirty seconds later I hear his foot steps enter the room behind me. "I'm not cleaning this up." Is the first thing that man-boy says.

Signing, I turn towards Atticus and ask, "Did you make this mess?"

"Nope." Atticus replies, popping the 'p'

"That's what I thought. Clara, were going to have a bath, then you're going to timeout for lying to Mama." I gently pick Clara up and she pouts.

I'm honestly surprised she's not throwing a tantrum. Usually when she hears the word 'timeout' she turns into a little demon. "Start the bath. I have to hold her away from my body so she doesn't get me covered in baby powder." I instruct Atticus.

Atticus bends over the bathtub and starts the water while I set Clara on the bathroom counter to remove her clothes and diaper. As soon as she's naked I place her in the bathtub and get to washing her down.