Chapter Thirty-Eight: Movie Night

Calisto (Daddy) POV:

Finally getting off of work, I make my way upstairs. As promised, I got off work early today. I think Clara's misbehavior is stemming from missing me. To be honest, I'm not around as much as Grace, Dechen, or Atticus. It makes me feel crappy but I have to keep my family and country safe. Grace knew this before we adopted Clara, we sat down and had a long talk about it as a family.

We never questioned how Clara would add into the equation, though. We just assumed she would be fine without me for a while. After all, she has three other people to look after her. Pushing aside my thoughts, I make my way upstairs and to the living room.

Clara is sitting in front of the coffee table, playing with her blocks. Grace, Dechen, and Atticus are snuggled up on the sofa watching TV. I knock on the door frame to get their attention and Clara turns her head towards me.

My little girl gives me a gummy smile and crawls as fast as she can towards me. Picking her up, I give her a hug and kiss. "I missed you, my baby." I whisper.

"Daddy! Chu pway wif bwock?" Clara points towards her blocks as she smiles happily at me.

"Daddy will play with you, princess." I can't help but give Clara another kiss right on top of her bright red hair. She smells like baby shampoo and my baby. My favorite smell.

"You managed to get off work early?" Grace asks.

"Yeah, I canceled a couple unimportant meetings and rescheduled them." I say, taking a seat on the floor next to Clara's blocks.

Clara automatically starts to build, albeit messily, while I help. "Well, I'm glad. The chefs saved you some dinner. We could have them bring it in here while we watch the movie? Grace suggests.

"That's fine, I just want to be with my family." I smile, it's been too long since I've had all my favorite people together in a peaceful environment.

Atticus claps me on my shoulder and stands up. "I'll make a call to the chefs, I'll be right back." He says before leaving the room.

"I'm glad you could be here, bro." Dechen smiles at me as talks.

"Me too. I miss my family. I need to figure out how to juggle work and my family. It's hard with my job but I think I can do it." Clara's tower falls and she lets out the cutest, 'Uh oh' under her breath, then starts building again.

"What movie do you want to watch, babygirl?" I ask Clara.

We have a lot of children's movies from back before we took over earth. Something called, 'Disney Classics.' Apparently, they're supposed to teach young children that all you need is a prince to save you. I think it's a bunch of shit, but Clara loves them.

"WITTLE MEMWAID!" Clara happily shouts, clapping her hands.

I let out a silent groan, out of the dozens of Disney movies we have, that's her favorite. She refuses to watch anything else. "Okay, we can watch The Little Mermaid."

Grace leans down and rubs her fingers through my hair, gently whispering in my ear, "After she's in bed, we'll watch a grown up movie."

Smiling gratefully at Grace over my shoulder, I nod my head. Thank the stars. The last time I watched Little Mermaid before bed, I dreamt about red haired mermaids with fork obsessions.

"Daddy! Chu nu 'elping!" Clara says, slapping my knee to get my attention. Apparently, I wasn't helping her build fast enough for her liking.

"Oh I'm sorry, I can't pay attention to Mama?" I ask her in a teasing tone.