Chapter Sixty-Five: Fluff 'N Stuff

Grace (Mama) POV:

I follow Dechen into Clara's room and see her sitting up in her crib. She's nomming away on her hand and staring at the butterflies that her nightlight projects on the wall. She's so infatuated with it that she doesn't even notice Dechen and I.

Placing my palm on Dechen's chest, I place my finger against my lips in an indication to be quiet. These are some of my favorite moments with Clara, just watching her be fascinated with stuff she sees every day. "Cwara gon be 'utterfwy." My princess whispers to her bear.

She's has her arms wrapped around the toy while she whispers nonsense to him. "This is the cutest thing I've ever witnessed." Dechen whispers.

Apparently his whisper wasn't quiet enough, because Clara turns her head towards us. As soon as she sees me, she tosses the bear down and bounces excitedly in her crib. "Mama an' Dada!" Clara yells while wiggling happily in her sleep sack.

I walk over to her and pick her up out of the crib. She wraps her arms around my neck and places an opened mouthed baby kiss on my cheek. Drool covers my cheek and I wipe it off on the shoulder of my shirt. I'm used to baby drool by now, anyways.

"Good morning, princess. Did you have a good sleep?" I ask as I lay Clara down on the changing table and begin her morning routine.

"Yesth. Cwara dweam 'bout Mama an' Gwammy." She tells me while I get to work changing her diaper

"You did? What did Mama and Grammy do in your dream?" Dechen asks from beside me. He's rummaging around in the changing table drawers, looking for some rash cream.

Clara's looking a little red down there and I want to nip that in the bud before it even starts. We'll do a breastmilk bath today to help. "Gwammy an' Mama wook Cwara 'immin."

"Grammy and Mama took you swimming? Wow, that sounds fun!" I reply while lathering diaper cream onto Clara's girl parts. Once I'm done with that, I tape a new diaper on her then pick her up.

She'll have to nurse before I can dress her. That's something we've learned recently, to dress her after she gets her morning milk because she makes a mess. "Do you want milky, baby?" I ask while sitting down in the rocking chair.

Dechen plops down beside me while I adjust Clara so she's laying in the crook of my left arm, facing my breast. "Dada hab 'ilk?" Clara asks while trying to pull up my shirt.

I laugh and shake my head replying, "No. Dada's not going to have some milk. It's all yours."

Lifting up my shirt, I support my breast so Clara can latch on. She automatically begins to suckle while Dechen plays with her feet. "Mama 'ilk?" My baby asks from around my nipple.

"No, that's all yours, princess. Go ahead and drink up." I tell her while brushing my fingers over her cheek. She's staring up at me and playing with her messy hair.

I probably should've brushed the tangled red strands before sitting down to nurse, but it's okay. I'll just do it later. "Daddy 'ouch Mama bum cwause she diapey." Clara suddenly tells Dechen.

This kid! "Daddy touched Mama's bum because she wears a diapey?" Dechen asks to clarify what he just heard.

"Yesth. Cwara see et." Clara nods seriously, the action pulling on my nipple. It makes me wince and adjust her a little bit. I really need to enforce not nodding during nursing. That shits painful.

"Mama must've had a stinky bum then." Atticus says from the door, startling me. I didn't even notice he was in the room. Geez, he can be quiet when he wants to. Every other time he's loud as crap.