Chapter Fifty-Five: Ornaments

Grace (Mama) POV;

"So, tell me about this human holiday again?" Atticus asks as he bounces Clara on his knee.

We're sitting in the living room watching an old human movie about a fat man that sneaks into people's houses and leaves presents. The human children had to be good or the fat man would leave coal in their stockings. Apparently, his name is 'Santa Claus' and he would eat cookies the children left for him.

He also travels around the world in a floating sled powered by reindeer. I'm not going to think too much into that one...

"I want Clara to celebrate at least one human holiday. This one seemed like the best when I did my research. We put up a big tree in the living room, decorate it with random decorations, then leave presents under it when the baby's in bed.

"She'll wake up and we tell her Santa was here. Then, we have a big dinner feast. Atticus will dress up as the big fat man, and she'll sit on his knee and tell him what she wants for Christmas." I reply with a shrug of my shoulders.

"Why can't we just tell her the presents are from us?" Calisto questions.

"Something about the power of belief or whatever. I honestly don't know. When I was reading old articles, it said that parents used to like to see the 'wonder' on their kids faces when they woke up and saw Santa delivered them presents." I throw a piece of popcorn in my mouth and stare at Dechen.

The man looks confused. He's scratching the back of his head and his eyebrows are furrowed. "Okay... I guess we can do this. How do we make Atticus fat before this holiday?" Dechen asks.

Atticus snaps his head towards him and frowns before saying, "Dude, I know you don't have much going on in your head, but it's obvious that we use a fat suit or something like it."

Dechen reaches behind Calisto and flicks Atticus's ear. "Be nice. The impressionable baby's in the room." Dechen admonishes.

"Says the dude who just flicked my ear." Atticus grumbles as he rubs his ear with one hand, the other one wrapped around the baby's waist.

"Why are we even talking about this in front of Clara then?" Calisto asks.

"She's not even paying attention. She's watching the television." I tell him, pointing at Clara who's eyes are glued to the movie, drool running down onto her white onesie.

Calisto takes Clara off of Atticus's lap and gives her cheek a kiss. She pushes his face away from hers, trying to watch the TV. "Daddy can't have kisses?" Calisto asks while pouting.

Clara shakes her head and replies, "Nu, Daddy. Gu 'way!" She points towards the door and Atticus and Calisto start laughing.

"Yeah Cal, go away." Atticus says through his laughter, pointing to the door with Clara.

Dechen copies him and Calisto's face turns red. He grumbles and sets Clara down on his lap, turning her to face the television. "Tank chu, Daddy." Clara mumbles, her attention already back on the television.

Calisto leans down and kisses her head before asking, "Where do we even get this tree?"

That's a good question. I never thought too hard about where we could get decorations and all that. Our species doesn't celebrate Christmas. We only have a couple of holidays. "Uh, we can make our own tree ornaments and I guess we can order a tree online? I read that they were huge fir trees but that really isn't an option for us.

"Maybe we can get a small house plant and call it a tree? She wouldn't know the difference." I suggest.

My husbands all look at me like I'm crazy. "I guess that could work. She doesn't need a big tree and we all don't really care about that." Calisto says.