Chapter Eighteen: Cuddles

Grace (Mama) POV:

Watching Clara currently break down is hard. She's overwhelmed and just got over being deadly sick. All she wants is her mama.

"Clara, look out the window. You can see the house we're almost there. Take some deep breaths for Mama and when we stop I'll hold you."

Clara finally stops screaming and looks out the window right as we pull up to the gates.

Of course the reporters couldn't make it easy on us, as soon as we pull up they surround the sides of the car. Banging on the glass to try and get a picture of Clara.

As soon as I fucking get Clara to stop crying, they scare her again. I decide to take matters into my own hands. I can't have them scaring her anymore.

I grab my phone and video Clara looking absolutely terrified while I whisper sweet nothings to her.

"Mama! Hewlp PEASE!" By this point my sweet child is red faced, hyperventilating, and has little tear tracks running down her cherub cheeks.

We finally park the car and I don't wait a second longer before I pull a hysterical Clara out of her car seat. I cradle her in my arms while I lift my shirt and unclip my bra.

I guide her head towards my breast and help her latch on. I look down at her while she eats and brush the tears out of her eyes. My poor love bug. When I get her situated, I slide out of the car with her still eating.

"Let's go I'm sick of this shit." I tell my husbands.

We all enter the house where all the staff stop and stare at me feeding Clara. I've never openly breastfed without a cover before. But at this point I don't really care. She needed comfort as did I.

We all head up to our bedroom where I completely take my shirt and bra off. During all of this Clara keeps eating. Atticus, Dechen, and Calisto all surround me on the bed. They want to hold her as well. Well, they can wait their turn.

I pull out my phone and head to social media. I clip on the video of Clara's meltdown in the car typing a caption.

Clara is only two years old. Mentally she's only 18 months. When the press bombard our car, it scares her. Absolutely terrifies her. On top of that Clara just got out of the hospital from a severe case of pneumonia. In the video my sweet girl is begging me to pick her up and comfort her. I can't do that. She has to stay in her car seat for safety. This is what happens when the press bang on the windows trying to get a picture through our tinted windows. You won't be able to get a photo anyways. Clara doesn't understand that we're the First Family. She just knows us as Mama, Daddy, Papa, and Dada. She doesn't know why people are being loud or are trying to take her picture. I know in this country we have freedom of press, but there's a line we have to draw. That line is where Clara's wellbeing lays. From this day forward any press within 10 feet of our vehicle will be arrested on sight for trespassing. Clara's safety is of the upmost importance. Mentally as well as psychically.

I post it and immediately shut my phone off. I don't wanna see what people will respond to that. I look down at Clara still eating. Her eyes are closed and her arms are tucked up against my body. Every now and then she'll stop suckling as she dozes off, then startles herself awake to keep eating.

I'm honestly scared for what teething entails with her. After her human adult teeth fall out my baby will start to teeth again. She'll want to nurse 24/7 which is something I'm not excited about.

"Can I hold her now please?" Dechen asks.

"Yea, you try and rip her off my boob and see how that goes. When she's asleep you can have her." I reply.

I don't mean to sound snarky but he knows what happens when she's interrupted while eating.

Finally Clara finishes up and I hand her off to Dechen to be burped. She whines a little bit when placed over his shoulder, but otherwise calms down.

I decide to lay down and get a little bit of rest. I've barely slept in the past week and a half and I'm exhausted.

As soon as my head hits the pillow I'm out like a light.