Chapter Fifty-Three: Old Memories

Arabella (The Queen) POV:

Walking into Clara's nursery, I smile at the sight of Grace nursing Clara. She sitting in the rocking chair with a look of pure love on her face. Clara is curled up on her chest and playing with the ends of her hair. It's a beautiful mother daughter moment. It might be considered creepy, but I lean on the wall beside the door and watch; not wanting to interrupt the moment.

"Do you know how much I love you?" Grace whispers to Clara.

From where I'm standing I can see Clara's responding smile to Grace's question. You can tell how much that baby loves her Mama, there's no question about it. Grace moves Clara to her other breast and her eyes suddenly look up to meet mine. "Hey, Arabella. You can come in. She should be finished soon." She smiles.

I walk further into the room and pull up an ottoman so it's sitting beside the rocking chair. Sitting down on it, I cross my legs and say, "Geoff and I wanted to bring Clara outside today. The extra security arrived today and we'll be in the backyard under the willow tree. The backyard is completely fenced in, so there's no chance of anybody sneaking up on us. Is that alright with you?"

I twiddle my thumbs while I wait for Grace's answer. We want to bring Clara to the willow tree because that's where her biological Mom rests. Clarissa never got to meet Clara, but I know she loved her with her whole heart.

Clara ended up with the First Family for a reason. I think it was Clarissa's way of making sure Clara found her way to us. I firmly believe Clarissa is working in the afterlife to heal our hearts, and that started with the First Family adopting her daughter. And subsequently, Geoff and I finally meeting Clara.

"Do you mind if my husbands and I go with you? We won't interrupt your time with Clara, we just want to see her reaction to the snow." Grace finally replies after a minute.

Nodding my head I reply, "That's not a problem. When you dress her, Make sure it's in clothes that'll keep her warm. The closet is full of weather appropriate items Geoff and I bought for her. We won't be outside for long but I don't want Clara getting a cold."

Grace nods and Clara finally unlatches. She turns her head towards me and gives me a big grin, stretching her arms out towards me. I take her from Grace's arms and wipe the little bit of milk that ran down her cheek. "Gwammy!" Clara bounces in my arms as I lean down and give her chubby cheeks a kiss.

"Hi, princess. You want to go see the snow?" I ask, adding enthusiasm to my voice.

She nods and Grace gets up, moving to the closet. Clara points to the closet doors and then points back at me. "Mama's getting you some warm clothes to wear." I explain.

While we wait for Grace to leave the closet, I stand Clara up on my knees and hold her hands in mine. She wobbles a little bit but I keep a firm grip on her hands so she doesn't fall. "Dada?" Clara asks.

"Your Daddies will come outside with us too. We'll play in the snow and talk to someone very special. We won't be able to see her, but I know she'll be there with us." I try to explain. Clara can't comprehend death and the afterlife or spirits. Making it difficult for me to explain that although Clarissa may be dead, she's still alive in spirit. Her mindset is way too young for that.

Grace also doesn't want me to tell Clara that Clarissa's her biological Mom. I can understand that, though. It isn't my place and it never will be. I'm the grandparent, not the rule maker. "Okay, I grabbed thick leggings, two pairs of socks, a long sleeved shirt, a hoodie, gloves, a hat, and a adorable snowsuit." Grace announces as she walks out of the closet.

She lays the stuff down on the changing table and shoots me a look before saying, "I'll be right back. I have to grab something." She runs out of the room and I stare at the door curiously.