Ch 20

Aria's POV

I looked over the books, humming softly. Alastor was right next to me, looking at them as well.

"Max...?" He said down at me in a whisper. We're in the library, so it's only curtesy.

I glanced up at him, "it was the first name that came to my head," I hissed back and he chuckled.

"It does not suit me," he replied and I looked him up and down. I mean, he's right, it doesn't.

I sighed, "it's far too late, your name is Max now," I huffed out, still whispering. I watched him as he picked a novel off the shelf.

He looked over it, and I saw it was 'The Radio Killer'.

His smile widened and I rolled my eyes, snatching the book from him and placing it back on the shelf.

"As if you need your ego stroked," I grumbled and he merely laughed softly. I picked up a romance novel, looking at the cover.

It was a man, shirtless, holding a fainted woman. She was wearing basically a white sheet, practically see through. Her nipples showed clearly through the fabric and I grimaced.

I turned the book to Alastor, "I bet this is right up your alley," I said teasingly. He looked over and immediately his smile tightened.

He pushed the book away, disgust clear on his face, "how dare you, I need to burn out my eyes now," he growled and I nearly busted out laughing.

Instead, a short snort left my throat and I covered my mouth, "I thought guys liked nearly naked women," I giggled and he rolled his eyes.

He looked down at me, his expression loosening into a relaxed smile, "I prefer ladies, who don't wear wet bedsheets as clothing," he said and I put the book back on the shelf.

"Yea, right," I retorted with a soft laugh.

We continued looking around the library, the peace and quiet lulling me into a calm state. I was just looking over some sci-fi novels when a tap to my shoulder nearly sent me to my grave.

"Shit!" I cursed, still managing to keep my voice hushed. I turned towards the man that just scared the hell out of me with a glare. He paid it no mind, a big smile on his face.

He looked giddy, and I quickly dropped my expression, exchanging it for a confused one.

"Why do you look like that?" I asked him and he held up 'The Radio Killer'. I rolled my eyes, but he opened the book, shoving it in my face.

"Look! It's me!" He said, and I looked at the page. Sure enough, there was a picture of him. My eyes widened and I shut the book, handing it back to him.

"Maybe don't bring attention to your resemblance with that murderer, Max," I hissed, glancing at Mrs. Ida.

She was just casually dusting around. She's awfully spry for how old she is.

His eyes widened just slightly, but his smile remained, "ah, you're probably right," he said and chuckled.

I finally found a book that sounded interesting and went to collect Alastor before he could bring anymore attention to his dumbass.

Walking around, I finally found him in the horror section. He seemed to be interested in the Stephen King selection.

I tugged his sleeve, and he he jerked away from me. I gasped and looked up at him, and he immediately turned to look at me.

"Oh...I apologize, sweetheart, I didn't know it was you," he said, and I furrowed my eyebrows and nodded. He's so strange.

I simply turned and started walking towards the front desk, knowing he'd follow me. I smiled at Mrs. Ida when we got to the desk, and she smiled back.

She gave Alastor a glance, but then just grabbed the book I was holding and scanned the little barcode.

Without looking up, she spoke suddenly, "you look very familiar, honey," she said, and I knew who it was directed towards.

The man in question tensed up, and I gave him a look. He returned it, then chuckled.

"That's strange...I'm positive we've never met," he replied smoothly, and it honestly scared me how convincing he sounded.

She then looked up, looking directly at him, "are you sure about that?" She asked him in a tone I'd never expect to hear from her. It was almost daring.

She handed me my book, and I quickly grabbed Alastor's arm, leading him away to the door.

"Thank you Mrs. Ida, bye now!" I called and exited as fast as I could, towing this demon behind me like a child on a leash.

I sighed as soon as we exited, "that was stressful," I grumbled and Alastor hummed. I looked up at him and his smile was barely there, he looked lost in thought.

"Al...do you know her?" I asked him softly, and he glanced down at me.

"No...I don't," he answered after a moment, and I shrugged.

"She probably just recognized you from the books or something," I said and he hummed again. We fell into a silence, the only sounds being the birds and the occasional vehicle.

Not many people were out today, so we were alone for the most part.

"I suppose it's my turn, hm?" He said, making me jump from how randomly he broke the silence. I nodded, "yea, it is. It better be good," I said and he laughed.

"I would hope so," he replied, and then began leading the way.

I felt like we had been walking forever, he had taken me to a part of the town that looked absolutely ancient. I'd been here before, but there was never anything interesting.

I kept quiet, holding onto him while we walked and looking around at all the buildings. Suddenly he took a sharp turn, humming softly.

He lead me down a dark alley way, the concrete looked wet and there was a dingy smell. The further we walked the faster my heart was beating.

What is he doing? I thought he was showing me something?

I think he noticed my change in demeanor, because his pace slowed and then stopped all together. He turned towards me, bending down slightly to see me better.

He took my shoulders in his hands, "dear, why are you afraid?" He asked me softly. I glanced around, and he did too, seemingly in that moment noticing how this looked.

"Ah...I see," he said, but then just smiled at me, "sweetheart, if I wanted to kill you, you'd be dead. It's that simple. You can stop worrying about that," he reassured me with some pretty morbid words.

But they worked.

I took a deep breath, nodding slightly and returning to my place on his arm. I missed the soft smile he gave me, instead focusing on something coming up near the end of the alley.

"What's that?" I asked curiously.

"Our destination," he hummed out, and the door became clearer as we approached it.

I cocked an eyebrow, looking at the grime covered, chained up door.

"You took me to...a condemned hole in the wall?"

He breathed out a soft laugh, separating himself from me gently. With the flick of his wrist the door was unchained and looked brand new.

He opened it, extending his hand towards me with a gentle smile.

I looked into the darkness behind the door, that innate fear of him still lingering. I looked back at him, glancing at his hand.

"Just trust me," were his next words, and I stared at his hand skeptically. After a moment of hesitation, I reached forward and took his offer.

With that, we descended down into the dark.