Ch 51

Alastor's POV

I haven't been to a gathering like this since I fell.

If I'm being completely honest, I forgot about most human holidays. When Eliot invited us to thanksgiving it took me a moment to even remember which holiday that was.

Now I'm sitting here, playing cards with a bunch of men I just met.

And I'm beating them terribly, they really aren't very good.

"Son, how are you so damn good at this!" One of the men laughed and slammed his cards down. I gave him a sly smile and shrugged.

"Beginners luck, I suppose," I said nonchalantly.

The table erupted in laughter and I sat back casually. I forgot what this was like...just being able to sit in a group like this, no one around me being terrified to the point of urinating themselves.

It's nice...

My brain wondered to Aria, then, and I glanced over my shoulder towards the living room. I stood up, then, and drew in a quick breath.

"Well, gentlemen, thank you for the card game! I need to go check on something," I said and turned to leave.

I heard several parting words and then one statement stood out above the rest.

"Take good care of 'er, son," I heard one of the men say and turned. I met his eyes and nodded slightly.

Then I headed towards the living room. I was just about there, when one of the small children popped up out of no where in front of me.

I came to a stop, and looked down at her. She was smiling up at me, one of her front teeth was missing and her face was dusted with freckles.

Her blonde hair was styled, but slightly messy. I smiled down at her and stepped back, placing my arms behind my back before I bent forward.

"Hello, dear!" I greeted her, and she giggled.

"Hi!" She greeted me and then my eyes widened when she held up a wishbone, holding it towards me.

"Do you wanna break the wishbone with me?" She asked, and I smiled softer before kneeling in front of her.

"Sure, darling," I said and took the other half between my fingers. I made sure not to pull too hard since I know this particular bone is fragile, and also she's seven.

She tugged with all her little might, and I just gently pulled and the bone snapped in half. I got the long piece and she got the shorter one.

I chuckled softly, looking over the bone, "looks like I get the long life," I stated, slightly amused, and she held her bone close to her chest.

"I get the wish!" She said excitedly, and then closed her eyes. I tilted my head curiously and when she opened her eyes I leaned towards her and whispered.

"What did you wish for?"

She glanced over her shoulder towards the kitchen and I followed her gaze. She was looking at a woman who was sitting at the table, and I observed the lady.

She was small, and looked frail. Her skin was very pale, and her cheeks were sunken in. She seemed to not have any hair anywhere on her face and her head was wrapped in a scarf.

My eyes softened and I looked back to the child.

"I wished for my mommy to feel better...she's really sick, but I overheard her and daddy talking and she said she still has 6 months of being sick left...but I want her to feel better before that," the little girl said and my eyes widened just slightly.