Ch 83

Alastor's POV

My eyes were trained on the forest, waiting for them to come back out.

They've been gone for a good while now.

Eliot is sitting next to me, rambling on about something. I haven't been listening, I'm more focused on listening...

Watching.

My eyes narrowed and just when I was about to go and find them, jake emerged from the thicket.

Aria came out just behind him and the look on both their faces was slightly somber. She was smiling, though...so that's good.

I rested my elbows on my knees and leaned forward slightly. Slowly I closed my hand into a fist, causing the fire to dwindle before smoldering.

They reached the campsite, and I met Jake's eyes. The look he was wearing hardened slightly, and I stood up and walked over to him.

"How was your chat?" I asked him, and he scoffed slightly.

"Man, are you her boyfriend or her dad?" He shot back and my smile widened as I took a slow step closer to him.

Then I felt something against my chest and I looked down, only to be met with big brown eyes staring back at me.

'Please don't...'

I could practically hear her voice pass through my head as I read the expression in her eyes.

She was wearing a soft frown now, and I glanced back to Jake. Her hands were curled around my shirt and she was begging me not to do anything.

But he makes it so hard when he runs his damn mouth.

I sighed and put a hand on her head, brushing her hair back and looking back down at her.

"Aria, darling, go and keep Eliot company. I'm going to have Jake help me gather more firewood." I said and looked up at him for a moment before smiling down at Aria.

She shook her head no.

I sighed again and leaned down slightly, getting by her ear so I could talk quietly.

"I'm not going to hurt him. Go on and sit down, honey, I'll be right back," I whispered and she reluctantly let go of my shirt. I kissed her forehead before gently nudging her over to where Eliot was sitting.

I need to have a talk with Jake.

I stood back up fully and met his eyes, then brushed passed him with the silent message that I wanted him to follow me.

We walked back into the woods, and he stayed slightly behind me.

Once we were far enough in, I spoke.

"You need to let her go."

There was silence. We were still walking, and the only sound were his quiet footsteps behind me.

Then he laughed softly and I stopped and turned to face him. What is funny...?

He shook his head and looked at me, "if I said that same thing to you...please, tell me what your answer would be." He said.

I took in a deep breath and stood up a bit straighter, "this isn't about me, Jake. This is about you making her upset with your actions." I said lowly, placing my hands behind my back.

"Max, I've known Aria my entire life," he started, and I tilted my head slightly, "she used to be my best friend, and when Josh would beat the fuck out of her, you know who was right there to hold her?" He looked at me and took a step closer.