Ch 64

Sweet moments...

Alastor's POV

My hand covered my mouth as I sat in my chair, staring at the piece of paper between my fingers.

As soon as Aria fell asleep last night, I put her to bed.

And I've been down here...sitting in this chair ever since. I was sitting here when she left earlier to go retrieve her medicine...and I'll still be sitting here when she returns.

My smile had long fallen, a distressed crease in my brow as I read this piece of paper over and over again.

The page I tore from that silly supernatural book...

Silly...

It has to be a coincidence...nothing more. An iron deficiency is a common thing for females to have...I should know.

I researched it for hours after she fell asleep.

Yet the longer I'm left alone with my thoughts, the heavier this weighs on my heart. This can't be true...

It has to be a coincidence...

Suddenly the front door opened, and I jumped before shoving the paper back into my coat pocket and then snapping to make my coat disappear.

"I'm home!" She chirped, and then the door shut. Her soft footsteps approached the living room and she rounded the corner with a little smile.

I had restored mine, and I was looking her direction as she walked towards me.

She held up a small pharmacy bag, "I brought drugs!" She exclaimed and then promptly plopped herself into my lap.

Immediately some of my tension dispersed, and I buried my nose into her neck.

"How was your trip, honey?" I mumbled against her skin, and she sighed.

"Well, it took the damn pharmacy twelve years to actually give me the medicine, but other than that it was alright. You should be glad you stayed home, it was boring," she said, and I chuckled.

"Not as boring as sitting here without you, peu d'amour," I said back, and pulled away from her neck to look at her.

She looked paler than normal, and her cheeks were slightly rosy. She also seemed just slightly winded.

"It's like I'm just weaker than usual..."

Her words echoed through my head and I hugged her a bit tighter. The worry was like a snake, winding around my heart and slowly constricting.

"You look a little rosy..." I mumbled, observing her redness. She took a deep breath and patted her cheeks cutely.

"Yea...it's a bit cold out, it's only 50," she said and I hummed.

"Well, sweetheart, why didn't you wear something warmer?" I chastised softly. She was only wearing a T shirt and jeans.

She rolled her eyes, "sorry mom," she said and then giggled.

After she was done laughing at her own joke, she sighed. Her body laid against me and she wrapped one arm around my neck.

With her other hand she started mindlessly toying with my hand.

"I need to put up my Christmas decorations..." she murmured, and without missing a beat I waved my hand.

Several miscellaneous Christmas decorations went up around the room, and near the corner where I usually put the tree when I was alive, a tree appeared. It was fully decorated, and glittered softly.