Ch 60

Alastor's POV

A few days have passed since the incident in the alley way...Aria is despondent.

Whenever we're just relaxing or out she has this far away look in her eyes.

And she looks sad...

I'm trying everything I can to cheer her up. I know she must feel...not the best...after what happened.

It was a traumatic experience.

I know I shouldn't have been as gruesome as I was when disposing of those men, but they seriously pissed me off.

Shooting me in the head? While my back is turned? That's just foul play, not fair or fun for anyone.

And when I saw them with her at the end of that alley way, something in me snapped. There was no sparing their lives after that moment.

They were going to execute her.

For what reason? What could the motive be...that makes no sense to me.

"Alastor..."

Her little voice pulled me from my thoughts and I looked up from my book that I'd long since stopped paying attention to.

"Yes, dear?" I responded and the look on her face was killing me.

Her eyes lost their brightness, her mouth formed into a soft frown. I shut my book and shifted my body to face her better.

"Can I ask you for something...?" She said softly, and I got up, making my way to the couch where she was sitting. She was nervously picking at her fingers, and bit her lip.

I took my place next to her, and her eyes fell.

"Of course you can, sweetheart, anything you want," I said and took one of her hands in mine. She held onto my fingers and I could feel her pulse through her fingertips.

"C-can you...kill me? Please?"

If glass didn't shatter in that moment, it sure as hell sounded like it did. Perhaps it was just my heart.

I just stared at her, wondering if I heard her correctly. She looked up and met my eyes, her expression nothing short of scared and just so sad.

"...what?" I said, barely above a whisper.

"Please..." she whimpered, "I'd rather be down in hell with you...I'm so tired of being paranoid every time I leave the house..." her voice started shaking and I felt saddened by the sound.

"And if the world wants me dead so badly, I'd rather you be the one to do it..." she said shakily, tears welling up in her eyes.

I shook my head, "Aria, honey, no...I won't kill you," I cupped her cheek and made her look up at me, "the world doesn't want you dead...look at you, look how pretty you are, look how many people love you..." my voice came soft and I brushed away the tears from her eyes as they started to fall.

She shook her head, and then her lip quivered before she put her head down and started sobbing softly.

"Nobody loves me..." she said through her cries, and that felt like a sword straight through my heart.

I pulled her close to me and her arms wrapped up around my torso. I rubbed her back, and let her cry.

"Yes they do, honey...people love you...Eliot loves you...Jessica loves you...Mrs. Ida loves you..."

I love you...

"You don't want to leave all of them behind, dear...trust me, hell isn't all that great," I chuckled softly and she sniffled. Her crying had quieted to little hiccups.