Ch 26

Alastor's POV (from the perspective of the story)

I sighed heavily before entering the house. This job truly can be exhausting sometimes.

However, it has always been a dream of mine to broadcast...and that dream has been met.

Now I use my earnings to provide for my parents, mostly for my mother...since my father can't seem to hold a penny to his name.

Some say his addiction is a sickness.

I say his addiction is an excuse.

Shutting the door, I laid my keys onto the counter. Our small farmhouse isn't much, but as long as mother is happy, I am happy...

My brows furrowed when I realized something strange.

The house was silent.

"Mama?" I called out. She's always making dinner when I get home from work...but there isn't even a single dish in the sink.

Momentarily my broad smile fell, but I immediately restored it.

"You're never fully dressed without a smile, my beautiful son..."

Her words rang through my head like a bell. My reminder to smile...

How she smiles...

I took careful steps through the house. Something is not right.

"Mama?" I called out again, wary this time.

Rounding the corner leading to our sitting room I spotted my father. My look hardened, shaking my head at his passed out form in his chair.

"Pathetic man..." I hissed under my breath.

I approached him, and his snoring was getting on my nerves. With a swift kick to his chair, he jumped, looking around.

"Wha-huh?" He looked up and saw me, I glared back at him.

"Oh, it's just you...go grab me a beer, boy," he grumbled out, sounding completely wasted.

"I will not. Where is mother? Did she run to the store?" I asked him, and he seemed to still.

I've never seen such a look on his face before.

"Your mother..." he spoke, "I..."

It was then I noticed he has blood on his shirt, and my eyes widened. Rage set into my chest, immediately assuming he's beaten her again.

"You had better count your lucky stars, you sack of useless shit," I growled out at him. The only reason he is still breathing is because mother begs me not to hurt him.

I turned to head up to their room.

I knew that's where she'd be.

But this feels different...that look on his face...for just a moment, that drunken exterior seemed to shatter, revealing the most broken eyes I've ever seen.

My steps became quicker, my heart pounding in my chest.

When I finally had view of their bedroom door, it was slightly ajar. I stared at it for a moment.