Ch 27

Aria's POV

My head was laid against his chest as he finished his story.

His horrible, sad story.

My hand was resting against his shoulder, and his arms were around me securely. I stayed quiet for a moment, just to make sure he was actually done speaking.

Finally I spoke, "was he the first person you ever killed...?" I asked him quietly. My eyes were cast down, and his chin was resting on top of my head.

"Yes," he said, "he was."

I stayed quiet.

Luckily, he filled the silence.

"I told you that story to help you understand a bit of the reason I do the things I do. Don't get me wrong, I am dangerous and...unstable. However...me enjoying what I do does not take away from the fact that every single one of them deserved what they got."

Wait what?

"You didn't just kill randomly?" I asked him, my voice a bit more even.

He chuckled, the noise vibrating through his chest and into my head.

"No...I didn't. I killed those who truly deserved to die...but I craved the kill. I craved that feeling...I'm not a vigilante by any means...but that man you saw in your dreams," my breath caught, and I immediately saw the horrible image of that man in my head.

His skin...

Every time I think about it I feel sick.

"I caught him raping a woman that night..."

His words floored me immediately.

I pulled back so I could see him, my eyes meeting his. Those red eyes, like lights, glowing in darkness of my room.

"What?" I spoke, and he nodded.

"I told you dear...only those who deserved it. After my mother passed, I wasn't the nicest man...however I didn't intentionally pick on those weaker than me. I left alone those who treated others respectfully."

I can't pin him. His morals are...scrambled. However, suddenly that man having his skin peeled away seemed a bit too kind.

Because I've been on the receiving end of his crime.

I shook my head, laughing softly.

"You're so weird..." I mumbled. Currently I was sitting in front of him, his legs were creating a sort of circle that I was sitting in.

"I'm sorry you had to see that, dear..." he said and I waved my hand dismissively.

"Now that I know that crucial detail, I actually think you were a bit too kind to him...although I still would rather have not seen it..." I said, and Alastor's eyes widened.

His lips parted slightly before he closed them again and just stared down at me.

We sat in silence for a moment, and I absentmindedly picked up his hand. I put it in my lap, tracing my fingers over his knuckles and then his claws.

"Do you think you ever would have started killing if it hadn't been for...?" I didn't finish my sentence, but he understood.

I looked up to meet his eyes again. He was looking at me weird...that weird soft look he's been giving me recently.

When he registered my question he glanced off to the side. He sighed and opened his mouth, but nothing came out.

"I..." he stopped, closing his mouth once again. He blew a sigh from his nose, and shook his head.