Ch 78

Here are some old sketches of Aria while I work on something.

Alastor's POV

Aria has been staying extra close to me recently. The dream she had a few nights ago really shook her up.

Whenever she looks at me, there's a sadness behind her eyes. I wish I knew what was bothering her...

Whenever I bring the topic up, she immediately averts eye contact and changes the subject.

Slowly I stopped scrubbing the dish in my hand and sighed. Placing it in the sink, I snapped my fingers and the kitchen was spotless.

I try not to use my powers too often in the house, but I really need to talk to her.

Quickly I teleported up to our room, and she was sitting in the nook with her head laid against the wall and her feet curled under her.

She was focused on whatever was outside, and I approached her quietly.

Her soft breathing and gentle heartbeat were what I was focusing on. Her emotions were too jumbled for me to pick anything out for certain.

She's confused...

I slipped into the nook across from her, and looked out the window. The snow had melted completely, and all that was left was the dead grass and leafless trees.

"What is on your mind, my peu d'amour?" I asked her softly, keeping my gaze trained out the window for just a moment longer.

She sighed quietly, and I looked over at her.

Her eyes were cast down, and she fiddled with her fingers. The expression on her face was thoughtful, and then her eyebrows furrowed.

"I just..." she started and then stopped, closing her eyes.

She took a deep breath, then continued, "I just wish I could have been there..." she said, barely above a whisper.

Is she talking about my death...? Why would she want that? I'm right here, so what would be the use?

"Honey, Im right in front of you...you don't—"

"You're not understanding..." she cut me off, her brows furrowing. Immediately I shut my mouth, and realized I need to just let her speak.

"It's not just that," she continued, her voice still sounding tiny, "I just wish I could've been there for it all. I wish I could've known you...before you died."

I let my expression soften and just stayed quiet, silently asking her to continue.

Her gaze shifted back out the window, "you looked out this window, too...you used the kitchen downstairs, hell, you put a hole in the attic wall..."

My eyes widened. When did she see that...?

"And I wasn't there for you during any of it..." she said, barely audible.

She let off another small sigh, "most of all, I wish I could've been there because we would have had more time..." she said, and he voice quivered slightly.

"We would have had time to know one another, and I could've been with you when you-" she quickly bit her lip as tears welled up in her eyes.

She closed them, causing the tears to fall as she composed herself.

"I could've gone with you..." she whispered.

My eyes widened just slightly, and I looked at her for a moment. Gone with me...?