Ch 37

Aria's POV

He finished speaking and I had tears in my eyes.

I sniffled softly and he quickly looked down at me, maneuvering to where I was now in front of him.

"Don't cry, love..." he tsk'd softly, "don't cry for a sinner like me..."

He wiped my tears as they fell but I shut my eyes and shook my head, grabbing his wrists. I pulled them away from my face and then threw myself onto him, hugging him.

"No, I will cry! That's terrible...I'm so sorry that you had to go through that, Alastor..." I said, my voice trembling.

How awful that must have been...

Tearing away his flesh...then to be shot in the head.

I shivered and hugged him tighter. He was stiff for a moment before he hugged me back.

His fingers ran down my spine, then back up.

"Dear, I didn't get anything that I didn't deserve," he chuckled, "you must remember I was not a good man, peu d'amour..."

"Even if that's true, it's still an awful way to go..." I whimpered into his neck, burying my face there.

I pulled back after a moment and looked up at him. He was smiling softly down at me, a saddened look in his eyes.

Why do I feel so terrible for him...why does it pain me so much that he died like that.

And poor Rosaline...

I shook my head, bringing my hands up to his face and gently cupping his cheeks.

I pulled him down slightly, lifting myself onto my knees as well to meet him halfway. Our lips connected and he made a surprised noise.

I kissed him quickly, and pulled away barely.

"Dear-"

I cut him off with another short kiss. Then another, and another. I kissed his lips, and then his face and nose.

I pushed his hair back and for the first time I noticed the small scar there in the shape of an X.

I lowered my eyebrows angrily and placed a kiss on that as well.

"Dear, what are you doing..." he chuckled softly and I pulled away to see his face. His hair was slightly messed up and one of his ears was flipped to the side.

I giggled, and reached up to smooth his hair back.

"I'm giving you kisses...whenever I felt sad, my mom always gave me kisses...and it helped me feel better again," I said softly, and his features softened.

"Darling, I never said I was sad," he said, slightly amused.

I wrapped my fingers around his, squeezing his hand softly, "you didn't have to..." I answered gently.

I squeezed his hand again, "and that's what friends are for! We look out for each other!" I exclaimed, smiling bigger.

Using the word friend to describe what we have is strange, to say the least. I'm not sure what else to call him, though. So, as far as I'm concerned, he is my friend.

A very...very close friend.

He leaned forward then, backing me up slightly as he crawled over me. His eyes gained a devilish look, and my heart started beating faster.

I smiled up at him, my cheeks beginning to burn.

"You're right, sweetheart...that's what friends are for. So, since you're the one who openly expressed your sadness, I suppose I should kiss you better as well?" He said, and my cheeks flushed.