Ch 48

Alastor's POV

I almost said it...I probably would have, had Eliot not knocked on the door.

However...his interruption gave me time to think it over. Perhaps it's...for the best.

After all...I don't want to confess to something and then find out she doesn't see me in the same light...

I'll keep these feelings close to my chest...as long as she's happy...then that's good enough for me.

I looked over at her next to me. She was curled up under the covers, and we were laying in bed. I took a long glance at her face.

Her expression was relaxed. Her phone caused her face to be illuminated slightly. I looked back at the book in my hands.

I sighed softly, and closed my eyes.

"Hey..." her voice broke the silence and I opened my eyes and looked over at her.

"Are you alright?" She asked softly and her eyes held worry.

I gave her a smile and nodded, "yes, dear...I am ok. What about you?" I returned her question and gently poked her stomach with my knuckle.

She giggled and swiped at my hand.

"I'm just fine," she said and put her phone down. Her room wasn't entirely dark yet, the evening light was coming through the large window.

It gave everything a dim golden glow.

I was admiring her features in the light when my brows furrowed. She was wearing a silk night shirt with spaghetti straps, and part of her chest was visible.

Just below her collar bone there was a relatively large bruise. I reached forward and touched it with my fingertips and she followed my hand with her eyes.

"Uh...what are you doing?" She asked skeptically and I glanced up at her.

"Dear, what happened...? Did you run into something?" I asked her, assuming she knows it's there.

She looked confused, however.

"What? What are you talking about?" She asked and I blinked.

"Darling, there's a bruise on your chest," I said and her eyes widened.

"What?" Then she looked off to the side, mumbling, "that's so weird..."

"What is?" I asked her, and she sighed.

She lifted her arm and looked at it, and there on her arm was another nasty bruise.

My eyes widened and I shook my head, "dear, what in the world...you need to be more careful," I chuckled and she shook her head.

"But I didn't...hm...I didn't hit anything...and I definitely would've known if I hit my chest. In fact, when I changed earlier it wasn't even there," she said and I blinked.

That's odd.

I shrugged, figuring it's not something really to dwell on, "it's probably nothing dear...would you like to do anything this evening?" I asked her and she shrugged.

"Not really...I am kind of curious though," she started and I tilted my head, listening, "when I was drunk, I didn't do anything too embarrassing, did I?" She asked, already sounding as if she didn't want to know the answer.

I remembered back to last night, and my face flushed slightly.

She groaned, "oh, god...it's that bad?" She asked and I chuckled.

"Uhm...well you tried to escort me to uh..." I coughed slightly and looked away, "T-to bed..."

Her brows furrowed and I realized she doesn't understand what that means.