Ch 54

Alastor's POV

The feeling of something smacking against my cheek rapidly woke me up. I groaned and then grabbed whatever was hitting me.

Apparently it was Aria, because I grabbed her wrist and she whimpered. The whimper wasn't because I hurt her, though.

Then the scent of her fear is what really woke me up.

I shot forward, immediately huddling her behind me. My eyes switched to sunken radio dials as I scanned the room for whatever it was that was making her so upset.

Then my eyes landed on a dark corner of the room. The sun hasn't risen yet, so the only thing currently illuminating is the moonlight from large window.

I narrowed my eyes slightly, focusing on the figure in the corner.

Then my entire demeanor changed from protective to annoyed in a split second.

It's my shadow.

I let my arms drop to my sides and scoffed. I felt little fingers wrap around my arm and glanced down at Aria as she peeked from behind me.

I waved my hand and the lamps on her bedside tables came to life, revealing my shadow standing in the corner. His eyes opened wide and he looked as if he'd just been caught stealing.

"Why aren't you in hell?" I chastised the creature and he slid across the floor, closer to us. His bright blue eyes glanced at Aria, and he tilted his head curiously.

I realized then he's never met her.

Aria coiled behind me, her fingers gripping hard against my arm.

"Alastor, what is that?" She whisper shouted and I quickly reached behind me and grabbed her, pulling her to my front. I placed her in my lap against my chest, and she immediately covered her bare chest from my minion.

I laughed at this, "Aria, dear, he's...it's me, darling," I said and she tensed.

"...what...?" She said, completely perplexed.

"It's...me, sweetheart," I said with a shrug, "just a little piece of me that has a mind of its own...he does whatever I tell him to, and I still haven't gotten an answer as to why he's not in hell," I hissed, meeting his eyes.

My shadow and I are connected, so he never gained the ability to talk since he doesn't communicate with anyone other than me.

Basically whenever he speaks to me, it processes through my head as a thought.

A bit like "hearing voices".

'You need to come down to hell.'

I shook my head, and glanced down at Aria.

He looked as well, and then his eyes lingered on her for a moment. My shadow only ever really sees me hurt people.

So seeing my arms wrapped around her gently, and the way she's holding onto me trustfully is probably new to him.

Then Aria's entire body tensed when he reached forward towards her.

Aria's POV

My eyes were wide as I stared at this strange demon shadow thing. It did resemble Alastor, but that did nothing to ease my nerves.

This thing had a creepy smile with jagged, jack-o-lantern type teeth. His smile was even more ridiculous than Alastor's.

When it reached out to me I tensed up, recoiling against Alastor. The shadow stopped and glanced up and behind me.

His electric blue eyes were unsettling and he looked at me again. He held his hand out towards me and I stared at it.

Reluctantly I reached forward and grabbed two of his fingers, shaking his hand.

A soft churr left the creature and then he stood back to his full height.

"He says it's nice to meet you, dear," Alastor said, and I tilted my head.

"It's nice to meet you, too...?" I said cautiously and the shadow laughed. It was probably the most haunting noise I've ever heard.

I chuckled nervously and then Alastor picked me up under my arms and put me off to the side.

He says this shadow is him...but treats him like his own person.

I watched Alastor get up off the bed and grab the shadow by the back of its neck, dragging it towards the corner of my room where I'd first seen it.

From there I could heard him talking to it in a hushed and agitated tone.

"I can't come back right now..."

"Tell them I'm busy..."

"He wouldn't dare..."

Oo...he growled when he said that. This can't be good.

I just watched curiously as he bickered with this creature.

Finally he growled deeply and threw his hands up.

"Fine I'll be there in 30 minutes! But go down there and tell him if he ever interrupts me for something so stupid again I'll slit his throat and eat his organs," Alastor hissed at the shadow, which then promptly disappeared.

He sighed heavily and then turned to me.

I smiled softly at him, "gotta go?" I said quietly and his annoyed expression softened.

He nodded.

"Yes...it shouldn't take too long, darling, I promise," he reassured me and I shrugged.

"It's alright, don't rush yourself. I'll still be here when you're done," I said casually and he seemed relieved.

"Ok...well..." he snapped and suddenly he was completely dressed in his full suit, hair fixed and monocle, everything. It's not often anymore I see him in his full ensemble.

However, this left me sitting on the bed completely naked while he was dressed as if he were meeting the queen of England.

He walked over, not even seeming to care about that fact. I looked up at him and he leaned down and kissed my forehead.

This made a smile rise to my face and a warm feeling spread through my chest.

"I'll be back," he said, brushing his thumb under my eye and giving me a soft smile.

He stepped back and waved his hand, summoning some long microphone staff and making me blink in surprise.

Then he sarcastically lifted his calm smile into the threatening one I saw when we first met. I snorted at that and waved at him right before he snapped and disappeared.

After he was gone I sighed. Quickly the silence set in, and I missed his static hum.

I slid off the bed, walking towards my bathroom to take a shower.

Once I stepped into the room, I flicked the light on and looked at myself in the mirror.

My eyebrows furrowed and I leaned closer towards my reflection. I have dark circles under my eyes...

That's weird...I swear all I do is sleep, so why am I getting dark circles?

Maybe I'm just still tired from last night.

Speaking of...

My cheeks burned at the memory and a stupid smile rose to my face. I put my cheeks in my palms and giggled like a school girl.

I can't believe we did that...I mean I can, but I just can't believe someone as attractive as him would even be interested in me like that.

I need to talk to him about what he said...that was his first time doing anything like that? There's no way.

I turned the shower on with a sigh, and waited for the water to heat up.

Time to wash myself and then immediately go curl up in bed again.