Ch 85

A/N: All it takes is one mistake...

Alastor's POV

I ran my fingers through her hair as she sobbed heavily into my chest.

As soon as the boys were gone, she just fell apart.

We were sitting in front of the fireplace, the soft crackling of the fire the only other noise aside from her heartbroken cries.

She was situated between my legs, her body curled up against me. With each heave of her body I felt guilt wind away at my heart.

Her fingers were clutching my shirt, and she pulled herself closer to me. I rocked us gently, just soothingly running my fingers down her back and through her hair.

I was worried she was going to hurt herself, crying so much. Her body has become utterly tiny...fragile. With each passing second her condition worsens.

Yesterday, I could tell through a touch.

Right now, I can smell the illness coming off of her. I'm worried she may not last much longer, but if she's going to die I want to be holding her.

I want her to be comfortable, and I want her to know exactly what is happening. I don't want her to be cold and alone.

My features remained relaxed as I watched the fire dance. Watching it, I remembered when she threw my journal into this very fireplace.

I had found that utterly amusing at the time, watching her scramble about and try to stop me from toying with her.

At the time I'd viewed her as nothing more than another victim...another mortal to add to my legion of shadows and lost souls.

How wrong, I was...

**

"Alright, sweetheart, look at me..." I said softly, and her eyes tilted up to look into mine.

Her cheeks were still swollen from her crying, but she was ok. She has calmed down after getting it all out, and even reassured me multiple times that she was ok.

I brought my hand to her face and brushed my thumb over her cheek and under her eye.

She smiled softly, and I took in her features one last time. It saddened me that I would be losing the peu d'amour that I knew...but I'm sure the one that I will be met with back home will be just as beautiful.

As long as she keeps her fiery personality, I couldn't care less what she appeared as.

"Are you ready?" I asked her, "are you sure...absolutely, positively sure this is what you want?" I added.

She nodded.

"Yes, now just kill me already," she said with a sarcastic little eye roll. She smiled softly after that and giggled.

"I'm sure you don't hear that often," she said and I chuckled.

"I honestly can't say I do, peu d'amour," I said, and then sighed.

"Alright...I'm going to put you to sleep now, honey, and when you wake up you'll be in hell. Don't be scared...don't move, don't wander...I'll be right there to get you just a moment later."

She nodded, and I took her over to the bed. She crawled into her spot and laid down. I stood above her, looking down at her small body, swallowed in her comforter.

I leaned down and brushed her hair back, placing a kiss on her forehead. I then moved to her lips, kissing her gently.

"Close your eyes..." I whispered to her, and she did. I watched her fox like eyes flutter shut, those wispy eyelashes still giving her the softest frame.