Ch 36

Alastor's POV

"Alright dear, get comfortable," I sighed, and she leaned into me a bit, laying her head on my shoulder.

"Rosaline...my, I haven't even thought about her in years...my baby cousin..."

"Her mother...my father's sister...died during childbirth. Now, I'd never been particularly close with that side of the family...but her father reached out to me, asking if I could help provide for her. This is understandable, considering my profession paid me well...and I accepted."

**

"Aly!"

My head snapped towards the front door at the sound of her voice. She was smiling and trotted up to me, tossing her school bag down by the door on her way.

I wiped my hands on a kitchen towel, and turned fully, putting my hands on my hips. I smiled down at her, and her arms were around my middle as soon as she reached me.

"Hi!"

Her little voice chirped up at me and I chuckled. My hands laid on her head, and she turned her eyes up to me.

"Hello, darling, how was school?" I asked her, and she stepped back, her smile quickly being replaced by a scowl.

This made me tilt my head as I knelt in front of her.

She crossed her arms, looking off to the side with a pout.

Hm...

"Now dear, what is that about? Did something happen?" I asked her, a confused smile on my face. She sighed.

"Yes...the 8th graders were being assholes."

I thought I heard glass break and quickly grabbed her by the chin, forcing her to look at me gently. She blinked and her eyes looked surprised.

"I'm sorry, dear, what was that you just said?" I asked her, and she repeated herself.

Where did she learn that word?

"Ok, darling, I'm not sure where you learned such a word, but I will not tolerate such language in my house," I said to her and she looked confused.

"But daddy-"

I narrowed my eyes and cut her off, "no buts...as for your father, don't repeat anything he says..." my voice had grown dark and I was thinking about how much I'd like to kill that man.

He's not a scoundrel, but he's not upstanding either. He's a horrible role model.

She looked down and I could tell I hurt her feelings a bit, so I loosened my hold on her chin. I tilted her head back up, smiling softer.

"None of that...where's your smile darling?"

When she didn't smile I pulled my hand away, and pinched her side, causing her to crack and giggle. A smile lifted to her face and revealed her patchy teeth.

She's currently missing one of her front teeth and a canine.

"There it is..." I said softly, and then stood back up.

"Now help me finish dinner, go wash your hands and grab your apron," I said turning back to the pot on the stove.

"Yes sir!" She said excitedly.

**

"So, you helped raise her?" Aria asked me, and I shrugged slightly, sighing.

"I suppose I did...she was at this house most of the time, her father was...a character," I grimaced and quickly fixed my face back into a smile.