Ch 23

Rough first design of Aria.

Alastor's POV

I laid back in her bed, staring at the ceiling. My hands laid over my chest, my features relaxed.

My eyes fell over to the bathroom, the light seeping from under the door reminding me of the woman swimming through my brain.

The doorknob jiggled, and I quickly fixed a smile onto my face. After it swung open I felt my breath catch.

The light illuminated behind her, her silhouette being softly defined. She pulled her damp hair over her shoulder, sighing.

Whatever this feeling in my stomach is only gets worse each time I look at her. It wasn't helping that she was wearing a tiny pair of flannel shorts and a cropped tank top.

I let my eyes fall to the small bit of stomach she was showing, the smooth skin looking soft. Quickly I looked away, and she plopped onto the bed, making the weight shift.

"Alastor," she said, amusement in her tone, "are you wearing that thing to bed?" She asked.

I looked down at my suit.

I probably shouldn't...but...

"Yes," I responded, and she scoffed.

"No."

I looked over at her, and she was smiling, shaking her head.

"You're not."

She pointed to the bathroom, "in fact, you're showering, and then you're changing out of that," she jabbed her finger back towards my ensemble.

I strained my smile, and then a growl rolled through my chest against my will. Her look faltered and so did her little smile.

Immediately I cursed these animalistic reactions that come along with being a demon. I sat up, moving closer to her slightly.

But when she flinched back away from me it felt more like she slapped me in the mouth.

"Darling, please, it was only an initial reaction, I..." I found myself lost for words. Why am I...explaining myself to her?

What has gotten into me?

She released the tension in her body, relaxing back into her original spot, "it just sounded like I made you...mad...I thought you were going to hit me...I'm sorry..." the more she spoke the quieter her voice became.

I thought you were going to hit me...

I had to bite back another growl, my fist tightening to help control the blinding rage that statement caused.

Not rage towards her...not even close. Rage towards a person I've already dealt with.

What I wouldn't give to bring him back to life just to skin him alive.

Then again, to pour boiling water down his throat.

Then again...you get the point.

"Aria, look at me," I said firmly, and her eyes met mine, "come here," I motioned for her to come closer.

She scooted a bit closer to me, and I checked her heartbeat.

Fast.

She's scared. Of me.

I focused back on her, and then held my hand up, showing her my palm.

She looked at it, and without me even saying a word, she put her palm flat against mine. My fingers nearly doubled over hers.