Ch 42

Aria's POV

My eyes opened slowly, my body immediately begging me to go back to sleep.

It is a Saturday, after all.

I groaned softly and reached over next to me in bed, looking for my little morning heater.

But he wasn't there.

I let my hand fall flat onto the bed, a sigh forcing through my lips. I hate when he does that...leaves in the middle of the night.

"Why do you always fuckin do that..." I grumbled. When he sleeps over, the highlight of it is that I get to wake up next to him. I get to pull him close to me, and feel his warmth against my body.

For years I wake up in a cold bed, next to a cold man. Then, for many more years I wake up next to no one at all.

Now I finally have someone.

But my someone decided to be an asshat this Saturday morning and leave me to wake up alone once again.

I pouted and pulled myself up, brushing my hair back. I thought about last night, and my hand raised to my neck.

My pout turned into a small smile, and I shook my head.

I know this little...fling...of ours is merely platonic to him. I'm something of a charity case to him, I'm sure...

But at least for once...for once in my life I finally feel like I'm not drowning.

I trained my gaze up at the letter from my mother that was pinned to my cork board. I smiled up at it, then sighed.

"I know...he's not the smartest choice, mom..." I whispered softly, and then my eyes fell, "but...he's kind to me...he saved my life, mama..."

I furrowed my brows, and pulled my knees up to my chest, "I feel like...I feel like you and daddy...would have liked him, mama..."

"I miss you..."

I laid my head against my knees and closed my eyes, "every single day..."

This is why I hate when he's gone...the silence, and the loneliness...I'm talking to a piece of paper.

My eyes opened and I looked at the journal sitting on my nightstand.

Crawling across the bed, I grabbed it and opened it up to one of the blank pages. I grabbed a pen, scribbling down a note.

"Where did you go?" I wrote down, and waited as the ink seeped into the paper, disappearing.

Immediately he responded.

"Business in hell. I'll be back, but I have my hands full. Enjoy your day, peu d'amour."

I scoffed and rolled my eyes.

"Business in hell," I said quietly in a mocking voice, "stupid...ugh...idiot...asshole..."

I continued angrily grumbling the entire time I was getting ready for the day.

"On a Saturday, no less!" I said, exasperated. I sighed and started walking down the stairs, heading towards the foyer.

I want to go into town. Maybe see Mrs. Ida, It's been a while since I last saw her. Perhaps I'll give Eliot a check in.

As I was walking, I suddenly felt light headed. My body swayed and my vision blurred.

What the hell?

I clutched onto the railing, wondering what on earth was happening. Then as soon as it started, it stopped. I felt cold, a sweat suddenly coating the back of my neck.