Ch 61

Aria's POV

I've begun slowly pushing last week's events to the back of my mind.

Instead, I'm focused on Christmas.

My absolute favorite holiday, hands down. The music, the lights, the smells...ugh, it's all the best. The more the season approaches us, the more excited I'm becoming.

The beginning of December just unlocks a part of my brain that holds a little extra serotonin.

I was singing to myself in the kitchen, swaying my hips as the Christmas music played out of the radio Alastor left in my kitchen during my first week.

There were several trays laid out around me, and I was making sugar cookies.

A fuck ton of them.

Mostly because Alastor said that's the only type of cookie he'll touch.

I'll be making chocolate chip as well, because those are my favorite.

A heavy sigh heaved through my chest as I put the last tray into the oven, and then I wiped my hands on my apron. I was covered in flour, and my hair was tied up and sticking out everywhere.

Smiling at my masterpiece, I turned my gaze up to the clock.

12...ok, so I've been making cookies for four hours now.

And Alastor left around the same time I started.

He said he was going out to......"hunt"......so I just smiled and kissed his cheek, deciding to stay blissfully ignorant about what he's out doing right now.

What I didn't realize was how long it would take him.

I was beginning to feel really hot, and rolled my sleeves up. I fixed my hair as well, and then stretched out my back, earning a few satisfying pops.

Then I jumped when there was a knock on the door, and I turned to face it.

Shit...I look like crap...

Oh well, whoever it is will just have to accept my appearance.

I walked over to the door, and decided to check who it is, first.

"Who is it?" I called, and waited for a reply. Even if it is someone here to hurt me, they won't have enough time to get in here before I can get out the back and call for Alastor.

But the voice I heard made my nerves dwindle.

"It's Jake," came his voice, and I smiled before opening the door.

"Hey! Fancy seeing you here," I said. I leaned against my doorframe, looking up at him.

He chuckled and glanced to the side.

"Yea...I just wanted to stop by, see how you were doing..." he said sheepishly, then he finally looked at me.

"And...say I'm sorry for what I did at thanksgiving..." he said quietly, and my eyes widened slightly.

"Oh...Jake, it's alright," I said gently, giving him a soft smile, "I'm not mad."

He shrugged and rubbed the back of his neck, "I know...I just shouldn't have done that, seeing as you came with another guy, it just wasn't cool of me and I—"

His rambling cut off suddenly and his eyes focused on my exposed arms.

Several different emotions passed through his eyes before he furrowed his eyebrows and reached forward, grabbing my left arm and looking at it.