You Lost Your Chance (LM, SS)

Introduction:
During their Hogwarts years, Severus wants to make Lily Evans jealous. He decides to do so by pretending to date Y/N Y/L/N. However, the girl is devastated once she finds out. Lucius Malfoy comforts the crying girl as he secretly has a crush on her. Years later, they end up betting married. Unfortunately for Severus, he has regretted his actions towards Y/N.

PS: This is a request from an anonymous on Tumblr.

Word count: 1.5k

Published: 3/2/2022
———————————————

Author's note:
Sorry for late publication! I was so tired while writing this😴

Also, Lucius is only one year older than Y/N and Severus in this story! And Severus and Lily are still friends, the incident in their 5th year didn't happen in this one. I hope you enjoy!
———————————————

TW: Angst - jealousy, loss of friendship, lying and taking advantage of someone

In the Great Hall of Hogwarts, all the students are eating dinner. However, one student is barely touching his knife and fork. He's too busy thinking.

Severus Snape, a sixth-year Slytherin student, is looking at the Gryffindor table. He's observing Lily Evans, laughing at a joke James Potter made.

The Slytherin boy can't help but feel jealous.

He and Lily had been friends for a while before they came to Hogwarts. However, ever since she met James Potter and his friends, her friendship with the Slytherin boy has started to slowly fade away.

Severus sighs to himself. Now that she rarely hangs out with him, he has truly realised what she means to him. He's in love with the Gryffindor girl.

Which is why he wants to make her jealous so she will start to notice him again.

However, he can't figure out how to make her jealous.

An idea suddenly pops into his head. He could make her jealous if he pretended to date someone else. Yes, that's it!

There's just one problem - who would willingly date Severus Snape?

As he looks around the Slytherin table, his eyes land on a fellow sixth-year student. Y/N Y/L/N.

The girl is kind and probably one of the prettiest Slytherin girls. That should make Lily jealous. He hopes that this will work.

Once dinner is done, Severus hurries to catch Y/N alone.

"Y/N, wait!" he yells before she enters the common room.

The girl stops in her tracks when she hears his voice. She turns around and smiles at him.

"Oh, hello, Severus" she shyly says as she tucks her hair behind her ear.

He clears his throat. "I know this is very sudden, but... You see, I have feelings for you and was wondering if you would like to date?" he asks, trying not to sound too desperate.

It might be a lie, but it won't hurt, right? She doesn't like him anyway, but hopefully she will give this a chance.

"Oh, you do? I have feelings for you, too! I thought you wouldn't feel the same, that's why I have never told you" she says as she sighs in relief.

Severus slowly gulps. He feels a bit bad, but he's sure she won't be that devastated when he has to break up with her. He just hopes that Lily will get jealous enough to finally notice him.

They agree to date each other.

A few weeks later, Severus is getting impatient. Whenever Lily is looking in their direction, she doesn't look jealous at all. She SMILES. Why in Merlin's name would she smile?