May You Return Safely (LM)

Introduction:
Lucius' parents arrange his marriage. He can't help but feel rather nervous - who is Y/N Y/L/N? And will their marriage work?

This is a request from an anon on Tumblr. Thank you for your request!

I hope you enjoy!

Published: 7/27/2022 ———————————————

Author's note:
It was only supposed to be 700-800 words long, but I wrote a bit more😅
———————————————

Word count: 1.2k
Warning: Arranged marriage

Lucius sighs as he fidgets with the rings on his fingers. His parents decided that it was time for him to get married - they have arranged it for him.

It's not like he didn't see it coming, it is traditional for Purebloods to arrange the marriage of their children. But he at least expected it to be someone he knew!

He has never met this girl before. What was her name again, Y/N Y/L/N? He hasn't seen her before. And he doesn't know anything about her...

What does she look like? How old is she? Does she like to read? Is she lazy?

So many questions are swimming through the twenty-one-year old Slytherin's head.

All of the confusion and chaos has led him to visit his dear friend, Severus. He's a smart guy, he might know if he can somehow stop this.

He looks at the man in black sitting on the couch in front of him. "Please tell me you have any good ideas, Severus" he pleads, almost whispering.

Severus sighs in irritation. "You could always run away" he mutters, not taking his eyes off his book.

That makes Lucius huff. "For Salazar's sake, Severus! They will just look for me! I'll never get out of this situation" he says as he buries his face in his hands.

The black-haired man rolls his eyes behind his book. "Well, if you do not wish to run away from this marriage, why not just embrace it?" he smoothly suggests as he turns to the next page.

That caught Lucius' attention. He removes his hands, looking at his friend.

"So you are saying I should go through with it?" he questions.

"Obviously. Who knows, the girl might be to your taste. Your parents might not have done a bad job" Severus points out.

Lucius is in deep thought. Should he accept his fate? Should he give this a chance?

"What was her name again?" Severus asks as he reads the next page.

"Y/N Y/L/N" Lucius tells him.

Severus hums. "I think you should give Y/N Y/L/N a chance. If it doesn't work, you could just get a divorce later. I'm sure your parents will accept it if both of you agree on it" he states.

Lucius smiles at him. "I knew I could count on you, Severus. Thank you, I really appreciate your help. And I really appreciate you" he tells his friend.

"Now, now. Go and meet this girl before you end up running away with me instead" Severus jokes, flicking to the next page.

His comment makes Lucius laugh. Well, maybe he should run off with him instead...
______________________________

A few hours later, Lucius returns to Malfoy Manor. He tells his parents that he apologises for leaving so suddenly. He also tells them that he accepts the woman they have found for him.

That seems to please them - they immediately send an owl to the Y/L/Ns to tell them the good news.

A week after, it's time for the wedding. The Y/L/Ns wanted it to be rather private, so they have only invited the most important people. Lucius' father accepted his son's wish for Severus Snape to attend the wedding, he is after all a very dear friend to him.

Besides, Lucius needs some moral support.

Right now, all the guests are gathered in Malfoy Manor, waiting for the bride and groom to enter the room. Severus is sitting among the snobbish Purebloods, bored to death. He's only here because he knows that Lucius needs him - he owes him a bottle of firewhiskey after this.

He will still do it even if he doesn't get the firewhiskey, but it would be really nice with one right now.

Meanwhile, Lucius is entering the room. He walks up in front of the guests, waiting for his bride. As he's waiting, he can't help but feel nervous inside.

Are they the same age? Is she pretty?

He's sure that his parents have found him a pretty wife, Purebloods do care about their looks. But how is she as a person? He really hopes she isn't horrible - he can't take it if he has to fight with her every day...

At last, she arrives. Lucius can't help but stare at her - she's absolutely beautiful. And she seems to be around his age.

As she approaches him, she gives him a shy smile. "Hi..." she says, fidgeting with her hands.

"Hello" he greets, giving her a charming smile.

While they are looking at each other, Severus rolls his eyes. He doesn't seem to have any problems with her... He already looks like he's in love. What was he even nervous for?

As they do the wedding vow and sparkles surround them, Lucius can't help but wonder. Will they have a happy marriage?
______________________________

It's been three months, and Lucius really didn't have anything to worry about. Y/N has been nothing but kind. She's a bit shy, but he can definitely live with that. If anything, he finds it adorable.

She might not say a whole lot, but it's no challenge for him. He likes talking and can easily start a conversation. She always ends up sharing things about herself, whether it's about her interests, her childhood or her family.

It makes him happy to know that he can break her shell and make her share things with him. He quickly found out that they have a shared interest in reading.

He has been really lucky with her - his parents did a rather good job.

The young man is starting his first day at work at the Ministry today. He's not nervous at all - he knows he will do a great job. It was marrying an unknown person that freaked him out a bit, and look how that turned out.

As he looks into the mirror, he smiles. He's happy with his life, and he wouldn't change anything.

He straightens his clothes and smooths his hair before looking for his wife in the living room.

"Y/N, dear, I'll go now. Remember that Severus will visit us at six in the afternoon. I'll be back an hour before that" he tells her as he kisses her cheek. He smirks as his action makes her blush.

He walks towards the door to leave. However, before he can take any step further, she stops him.

"May you return safely" she mutters under her breath before caressing his face and then his arms. The action confuses him a bit.

Seeing the confusion on his face, Y/N shyly smiles at him. "Oh, sorry. In my family, we always bless our family members before they leave. It has been a tradition through generations" she explains.

Blinking a few times, Lucius smiles at her. "I see, I rather like that tradition. Especially if it comes with a kiss" he teases.

Chuckling, she kisses each of his cheeks, his forehead and then his lips. He sighs in content. He can definitely get used to that.

"Thank you for your blessing, darling. I'll see you tonight" he tells her. He then turns around, leaving the manor.

As he apparates to the Ministry, he smiles to himself. This arranged marriage wasn't so bad after all.
———————————————

Author's note:
The next one shot "New to the Country" (SS) will be published on 7/28/2022!