The Dark Lord's Cousin Pt. 3 (SS)

Introduction:
Maddie Snape is in her first year at Hogwarts, but Headmistress Minerva McGonagall notices that the girl has symptoms of autism and ADHD. Being Severus' friend, she sees it as her duty to help the young Slytherin to thrive at Hogwarts.

This is a request from BuckeyeGirl2002 and @A-BellaGreen on Wattpad. Thank you for your request!

I hope you enjoy!

Published: 12/8/2023
———————————————

Author note:
I'm so sorry that I haven't posted in a while😭
———————————————

Word count: 957
Warning: Child having trouble at school, generalisation of ADHD & autism symptoms

Maddie Snape has now been at Hogwarts for a little over a month. She's been doing really well in all of her subjects, especially Potions and Defence Against the Dark Arts just like her father when he went to Hogwarts. She has also been doing really well at Transfiguration which pleases the Headmistress.

However, Minerva McGonagall has been noticing something else about Maddie. Despite her skills, the girl seems to have trouble concentrating in class due to distractions - especially if any of the other students are too noisy. Whenever there's too much noise in the classroom, Maddie tends to cover her ears and close her eyes as if the noise is hurting her. She sometimes cries in class from frustration due to her not being able to concentrate.

She also doesn't seem to like when other people touch her - one time during Transfiguration class, another student poked her in order to get her attention. He simply wanted to ask if he could borrow her quill, but his action freaked poor Maddie out. She started to cry, clearly not liking it. She also started to fidget with her hands - something she seems to often do whenever she gets overwhelmed.

The girl is also a picky eater - certain textures of food seem to put her off, making her not eat much. Minerva has also noticed that Maddie doesn't have many friends - she seems rather socially awkward. Just like how her father was.

Concerned for the first-year Slytherin, the Headmistress decides to do something about it. She might not be her Head of House, but she is Severus Snape's friend - and therefore sees it as her duty to talk to her.

She decides to talk to her once class is over. They are currently in Transfiguration class, so the timing is perfect.

During the lesson, Minerva notices how focused Maddie is on the task. She doesn't seem to be aware of her surroundings - students talking while doing the task - one of them asking her a question, and as Maddie doesn't seem to hear that student, they get annoyed as they believe that she's ignoring them.

Once class is over and Minerva dismisses the class, Maddie is still there, so focused on what she's doing. The Headmistress walks over to her and clears her throat. Still nothing.

"Ms. Snape?" she asks as patiently as she can.

Blinking a few times, Maddie looks up at her. "Huh? Oh, I'm sorry, Professor McGonagall. Did you say something to me?" the girl asks, looking a little confused.

Minerva smiles. "Yes, I did, Ms. Snape. I would like to talk to you if you don't mind" she states.

As the girl agrees to talk, the two of them head to the Headmaster's office. However, there is a surprise for Maddie there.

She gasps. "Father! Mother!" she squeals as she hugs her parents tightly.

They both chuckle. "We missed you too, sweetheart" Y/N coos as she kisses her daughter's forehead.

"Indeed we did, princess" Severus says, gently patting her head.

"Now, what would you like to discuss with us, Minerva?" he asks the Headmistress.

Minerva has asked for their presence to discuss Maddie. The Headmistress clears her throat. "During your daughter's stay here at Hogwarts, I have noticed something... I believe that she has autism and ADHD. She seems to have trouble concentrating in class if she gets distracted, and she seems to have sensory issues. Besides, she seems to have trouble with being social... You don't have many friends, do you, Ms. Snape?" she gently asks the girl.

The first-year merely shakes her head, looking a little sad. At this, Severus sighs. "We were aware of some of these problems, but we had no idea what to do about it..." he admits.

Y/N nods as she grabs his hand, giving it a squeeze. She does the same thing to her daughter, giving both of them her support. Maddie looks up at her mother and smiles.

Minerva smiles as well. "Don't worry, I will inform the other professors. We will do everything in our power to make sure that Maddie's special needs are met. We will make her time here at Hogwarts easier, I promise you that" she assures them.

The parents nod at the Headmistress gratefully. "Thank you, Minerva. We appreciate it" Severus says before giving a small, supportive smile to his daughter who hugs him in return.

Suddenly, the portrait of Albus Dumbledore appears. "I'll look after her too, Severus" the former Headmaster promises, smiling at them.

At that, Severus rolls his eyes. "Thank you, Albus..." he mutters. The others chuckle at that.

Thanks to Minerva McGonagall, Maddie's special needs are indeed met. Her time at Hogwarts is now made easier for her - she will always have a seat up front in order to minimise distractions. Flitwick teaches her a spell that blocks out noise similarly to the Muggle item called earplugs. This helps her not get overwhelmed by loud noises in the classroom, though she can still hear what the professor is saying.

The other students are also instructed in how to approach her - not by poking her, but by waving their hand in front of her to get her attention. This way, she won't freak out by unwanted touch from others.

The school has also created a little club for students who have autism or ADHD - this way, they can talk about their problems and give advice on how to tackle them. This will also help her get more friends - by getting friends who are like herself. And these friends can help her become friends with others as well. Now Maddie Snape is thriving at Hogwarts, thanks to her parents and professors' support. Her parents are very proud of her.
———————————————

Author's note:
The next one shot "Comforting Him" (LM) will be up on 12/25/2023!