Detention (SS x student! reader)

Introduction:
One day, Y/N Y/L/N is late for Potions and receives detention. However, Professor Snape demands to know why she was late... How will he react when she tells him the truth?

This is a request from Deathfantasy on AO3. Thank you for your request!

I hope you enjoy!

Published: 5/14/2023
———————————————

Word count: 1k
Warning: Teacher-Student relationship (Y/N is 18 years old)

Severus sighs to himself. Another day of teaching dunderheads - will this ever end? Well, at least the summer is approaching...

He's sitting behind his desk, waiting for his seventh-year Slytherins and Gryffindors to enter the classroom. As they seem to be taking their sweet time, he orders them to hurry up. He doesn't have all day... And he doesn't want to waste his time waiting for them.

As he's about to start the lesson, he notices that one student is missing. It's Y/N Y/L/N, one of his Slytherins. And one of his best students, if not the best. He raises an eyebrow. Why would she be late? She always does her homework and shows up on time, unlike her fellow students.

She's one of the very few students he has taken a liking to... He only likes his Slytherins, but even some of them can be dunderheads. Y/N is very different, though.

Shaking off the thought, he starts the lesson about Pepperup Potion. A few minutes later, Y/L/N finally shows up. "I'm so sorry that I'm late, Professor Snape" she says, giving an apologetic look. She doesn't seem like she has been running to class... Strange.

Severus huffs. "I don't tolerate students being late, Y/L/N. Detention" he growls. The girl flinches, clearly not wanting detention. He ignores it.

"Now," he continues. "Pepperup Potion..." he says, resuming the lesson. Y/L/N takes the hint and quickly finds her seat.

For the rest of the lesson, the girl pays close attention and brews the potion correctly, just like she usually does.

When the class ends, Severus looks at her before she leaves. "Don't be late for your detention, Y/L/N. Come straight after dinner" he orders.

"Of course, Professor Snape..." she says, fidgeting with her hands before she leaves.

Once she's gone, Severus sits down on his chair and is deep in thought. What's going on with her? Why was she late?
______________________________

Dinner has just ended, yet Severus has been inside his classroom for a while now. He doesn't eat much, and he always leaves the Great Hall immediately when he's done eating so he can get away from everyone...

Just then, there's a knock on the door. "Come in" he mutters.

Y/L/N enters the room, looking nervous. "I'm here, Professor Snape" she announces.

"On time this time, I see. Very well..." he says as he looks down on the list of students who are to show up for detention.

He frowns. Potter and Weasley were supposed to be here as well for messing up their potion... They won't escape their punishment, he will make sure of that. Those two imbeciles will regret not showing up for their detention.

He then looks at the girl. "It seems like it will just be you tonight... In that case, I want you to clean those cauldrons over there," he says as he points to a pile of dirty cauldrons.

"Without magic" he adds, levitating the needed cleaning supplies over to her desk.

The girl merely nods and starts cleaning without any complaints. It doesn't take her long to finish her task.

As her professor doesn't give her another task to do, she retrieves a book and starts reading it. This catches Severus' attention - he likes to read as well, and he has never read that book before. That usually doesn't happen... He's always trying to look for something he hasn't already read a hundred times before. Maybe he should read this one next.

As detention is almost over, Severus decides to figure out why the girl was late for class. He clears his throat. "So, Y/L/N... Exactly why were you late today?" he questions.

She merely blushes. She doesn't seem to want to answer him. That annoys him.

"I won't hesitate forcing a vial of Veritaserum down your throat if you don't answer me" he threatens.

Y/L/N sighs, looking extremely nervous. "W-well... I was thinking about not showing up today at all as I've... developed feelings for someone and can barely bear to be in the same room as them" she admits, not daring to look at him.

He raises an eyebrow. "Really? And who is that?" he asks.

She gulps, knowing he's demanding an answer. "You..." she whispers, fidgeting with her hands.

At first, Severus thought he heard wrong, but he didn't - she really did say HIM. He widens his eyes - has one of his best students really developed feelings for him?

He sighs, about to reveal something to her. "I don't like to admit this, but... The feelings are mutual" he mutters.

He has slowly developed feelings for her... He really doesn't like to admit it, but he has. And unfortunately, two particular colleagues of his seem to have noticed... They don't seem to mind as the girl is legal. But he knows that they can't be together, at least not as long as she's his student.

Y/L/N widens her eyes, too. She seems absolutely surprised by his confession.

"However, as you might already know, we cannot be together as long as you are my student... But, if you wish, we can go on a date after you have graduated. But only if you wish to" he tells her, not wanting to pressure her. He wouldn't want to do that - he still can't believe that she feels the same. He thought no one, especially not a student, could like someone like him...

She smiles at him, seeming less shy and nervous. "I would love to... Severus" she says, saying his first name out loud.

He chuckles. "Very well, Y/N... Just don't tell anyone about this, okay? Also... Don't be late again" he warns, sounding sarcastic yet being serious about it. He really doesn't like students being late.

She chuckles as well. "I won't, don't worry. I'll look forward to our date in a few months... See you, Professor" she says, leaving him alone in the classroom.

As he's alone, Severus almost smiles to himself - maybe his life won't be so sad and horrible anymore. Maybe he can finally be happy, and with someone who likes him nonetheless.
———————————————

Author's note:
The next one shot "Cat as Company" (SS x Animagus! reader) will be published on 5/20/2023!