Two Chaotic Cousins (SS & Godson! DM & LL)

Introduction:
Severus reluctantly babysits his Godson Draco and the boy's cousin, Luna Lovegood.

This is a request from ThumblingBackpacks on AO3. Thank you for your request!

I hope you enjoy!

Published: 8/28/2022 ———————————————

Word count: 1k

It's an ordinary day in Spinner's End. Severus is reading a book while sipping on a cup of coffee. He's thinking whether or not he should apparate to Diagon Alley to buy some potion ingredients. He might even treat himself to a firewhiskey. Perhaps a new book, too.

However, that idea seems to fly out the window in an instant as there's a knock on the door.

Huffing, he puts down the book and strolls over to the door, opening it to reveal who dares to interrupt him and his plans. It doesn't even surprise him when he sees his friend, Lucius.

"Lucius... Here to join me on some reading?" he sarcastically asks, indicating that he interrupted him.

Chuckling, Lucius shakes his head. "I apologise for interrupting you, Severus. However, you see, I have a favour to ask" he tells him.

"A favour, you say?" Severus questions, raising an eyebrow.

Lucius nods. "Yes. I was hoping you could babysit... If you aren't too busy, that is" he says, though looking at him pleadingly.

Severus sighs. Great, now he has to babysit... His original plan is definitely not happening now. Unless he tells him that he's busy...

However, his pleading look gets to him. He groans. Why can't he say no to him?!

"Fine... I'll babysit. Just for today, though" he states.

Lucius smiles. "I knew I could count on you, Severus! Oh, I forgot to mention..." he suddenly says.

Severus growls. What now?!

"You will also be babysitting Draco's cousin, Luna Lovegood. Cissy and I promised her father to take care of her for a few days, but I unfortunately forgot that we had other plans today... Anyway, we'll be back later tonight!" the blonde-haired man says as he gestures for the two five-year old children to step forward.

Before Severus can protest, Lucius is gone.

Sighing, he looks at the two small children who are both smiling innocently at him. He did not plan for this...

"Well... Get inside" he mutters, gesturing for them to enter. They immediately do so as they look around his home after he has closed the door.

"Uncle Sev, where are your house elves?" his Godson questions, observing every corner.

"I don't have any, Draco..." he replies, sighing in irritation.

Luna smiles. "Well, you seem to have a few Nargles in here" the girl states as she seems to be looking somewhere.

"Nargles..." Severus mutters to himself, huffing. She's just like her father... Well, he must say that the Quibbler is entertaining to read from time to time.

Ignoring the 'Nargles' and the lack of house elves, Severus shows them to the living room.

"You may use the dinner table if you wish to draw. Just don't draw on the actual table..." he warns.

Both children nod. Sighing in relief, Severus sits down on the couch and resumes reading his book.

While doing so, the two cousins retrieve some parchments and crayons from Luna's bag before starting to draw. They are guessing what the other one has drawn.

Draco can easily guess what Luna is drawing as she's quite good at it. However, Luna can't seem to guess his.

"Is that a Niffler?" she questions as she looks at the drawing curiously.

Draco sighs. "It was supposed to be a frog..." he mutters.

Luna inspects it before turning the drawing upside down. "Hmm... A frog, of course" she says, smiling.

The boy huffs. She's just trying to make him feel better.

After a few rounds of drawing, both children are out of ideas.

"I don't know what to draw!" Draco dramatically exclaims.

Luna is deep in thought. "My father has told me that Blibbering Humdingers help with creativity. If we find them, we might get new ideas" she suggests.

Draco shrugs. Well, he doesn't have anything better to do, so he agrees to tag along with his cousin. She has some strange ideas sometimes, but perhaps this one might work.

The two children start walking through the house, searching for the creatures.

Meanwhile, Severus is still reading on the couch. "Are you having fun drawing?" he asks, not having heard a word from them in a while.

As he looks at the dinner table, he internally panics. Where are they?!

He must have been so caught up in his book that he didn't listen to their conversation. What are those two dunderheads up to?

He knows for a fact that Draco is prone to accidental magic, so Luna might be as well. They could easily hurt themselves...Besides, they are children. They don't need magic in order to do something stupid and hurt themselves.

After looking everywhere, he finds them inside his bedroom. He strolls towards them. "What... are you two... doing?" he demands.

Both children jump in surprise, quickly turning around to see Severus with a scowl on his face.

Luna smiles as always. "We were just looking for some Blibbering Humdingers, Mr. Snape. My father says they help with creativity" she explains.

Severus blinks a few times. Blibbering Humdingers...? He shakes it off, gesturing for them to follow him.

"Well, those Blibbering Humdingers can wait. It's time for dinner" he states.

The three of them enjoy a family pizza. Severus decided to order something... He didn't feel like cooking, especially not with these two chaotic cousins wandering around.

He almost gave the Muggle some Galleons... Thank Merlin he noticed before the damage was done.

For the rest of the evening, he decides to keep a better eye on the two of them. He reluctantly accepts to participate in their drawing game. He can't help but feel warm inside when they compliment his drawing skills.

After a few hours, Lucius and Narcissa finally return.

"Hello, Severus. I hope they weren't too troublesome" Narcissa says, giving an apologetic look.

"Well..." Severus starts as he looks at the two children giving him those innocent looks.

"They were very well-behaved" he says, partly meaning it. His whole evening wasn't ruined... which he honestly expected it would have.

Smiling, the couple gesture for the children to come with them. As they walk outside, Draco and Luna look up at Severus.

"Thank you for looking after us, Mr. Snape. It was really fun" Luna states, giving a dream-like smile.

Draco nods, agreeing with his cousin. "Yeah, it was. But it's always fun! Uncle Sev is the best!" the boy proudly states.

As the four of them apparate to Malfoy Manor, Severus can't help but feel... happy. Perhaps babysitting isn't so bad after all.
———————————————

Author's note:
The next one shot "The Dark Lord's Cousin" (SS x Tom Riddle's younger cousin! reader) will be published on 9/4/2022!