Redemption (LM)

Introduction:
After the Wizarding War, Lucius Malfoy is forced to live among Muggles in order to redeem himself. Will he be able to do it? Or will he end up going crazy?

This is not a request.

I hope you enjoy!

Published: 9/30/2022 ———————————————

Word count: 3.8k
Warning: People assuming one's gender and mentions of hexing someone

The Wizarding War is finally over - the Boy Who Lived defeated the Dark Lord. While the castle of Hogwarts has slowly been repaired, all Aurors have been looking for any Death Eaters that escaped that night.

Lucius Malfoy and his family went hiding for a few days. When they were caught, Lucius was actually relieved as they no longer had to live in fear of running into any Aurors.

Every day was a struggle - it was difficult to sleep, it was difficult to get something to eat... They always had to be aware of their surroundings. It was really exhausting, but now they can finally breathe.

Well, that is until the Ministry chooses a fitting punishment for everyone who helped the Dark Lord. Lucius fears the worst. He knows they will be sent to Azkaban, he just knows it. What else would they do, give them a second chance? There's no way they would do that.

Not only is Lucius stressed out about receiving his punishment, but there's also an awful lot of paperwork to sign. He and Narcissa have decided to get divorced.

They fell out of love a long time ago, plus the years of living with the Dark Lord has destroyed them as a family. They kept fighting and fighting about the missions, about Draco's well being...

Truly, the only way to restore their relationship is by getting divorced. They will never get together again, but hopefully they will stay friends. That's what Lucius wants, that's what Narcissa wants, and that's what their son wants, too.

Draco wants them to be happy again, even if it means they won't be together. The boy understands, having listened to their fighting while they had no idea he was there. He will never be able to tell them - it would simply break their hearts, knowing their son has heard every heated argument between them.

A week after all the remaining Death Eaters have been caught, the Ministry is going to tell them their punishment. All of them are in the hall, waiting for the trial to begin.

Lucius sees a glimpse of familiar black hair among the others - Severus Snape survived Nagini's attack. Lucius can't help but smile, feeling happy that his friend is still alive. Maybe everything will turn out okay.

The new Minister of Magic, Kingsley Shacklebolt, clears his throat in order to get everybody's attention. "We are gathered here today as we, the Ministry, have been discussing a proper punishment for those who helped aid You-Know-Who during the Wizarding Wars," he starts as he looks at all the people in the room.

"We have come to a decision. We have decided to give the Death Eaters a choice - either, you will be going back to Azkaban..." he says, making Lucius close his eyes shut. He can't go back... He won't survive it.

"Or, you will be living among Muggles until you have proven yourself and learned to accept them" Shacklebolt states, immediately demanding people to be quiet as a lot of the Death Eaters protest in disgust.

"Muggles?! You want us to live among Muggles?! I would rather die!" one of them screams.

Shacklebolt sighs in irritation. "The choice is yours. We will take each of you to a room where you will be given fifteen minutes alone to think about your decision" the Minister declares. The Aurors then bring them to different rooms of the Ministry's building.