I Used to Love You (SS)

Introduction:
Severus Snape bumps into a childhood friend of his - Y/N Y/L/N. He has always had feelings for her, but was afraid to tell her. He learns that the feelings were mutual... But it's too late now. Will they be able to move on?

This is a request from JeanTheBear. Thank you for your request!

I hope you enjoy!

Published: 5/3/2023
———————————————

Author's note:
I'm SO sorry about the delay! I just realised I haven't posted anything in a month😩 Hopefully it was worth the wait!
———————————————

Word count: 1.5k
Warning: Angst - confessing one's love too late

Severus Snape has a lot of memories he wishes he could remove from his mind. Most of them are from his childhood - his abusive father, Lily, his bullies... Though one memory appears more frequently than the others. It's one of the very few pleasant ones - his time with his childhood friend, Y/N Y/L/N. They went to Hogwarts together, and she made his time there much more bearable, especially after what happened with Lily. Y/N was always there for him.

She wasn't just a friend to him - in their last years of Hogwarts, he fell in love with her. He never confessed his feelings to her, though - he was afraid of her reaction if he told her. Besides, she would never love him back.

After they graduated, they unfortunately lost contact. Now, fifteen years later, he still thinks about her. He thinks about her every day and wonders how she is...

Right now, Severus is walking in Diagon Alley as he needs to get ready for the new school year. He needs to buy a new quill to grade the dunderheads' papers...

As he's too deep in thought, he realises too late that somebody is about to bump into him. He steadies himself before he can fall to the ground. He growls. "Watch where you are going-" he snaps before he sees who just bumped into him. He widens his eyes. So does the other person.

"Severus? Severus, is that really you?" they ask, sounding surprised. It's the very person he just thought about... It's Y/N.

"Y/N... It's good to see you. How... have you been?" he asks, trying not to sound too excited. He doesn't want to break into tears in front of her... How pathetic would that be?

He's surprised when she hugs him tightly without any warning. "Merlin, it's so good to see you too! I missed you so much! And I've been very well, how about yourself? Last time I heard that you were teaching at Hogwarts, are you still a professor?" she questions, looking curious.

Severus sighs. "Unfortunately, I do... Most, if not all of the students, are dunderheads" he states, frowning at the mention of his students. That makes Y/N laugh.

"I'm sure they are. Let me guess... You teach Potions? Or perhaps Defence Against the Dark Arts?" she asks.

"Potions... Dumbledore will never let me teach DADA" he mutters, looking annoyed. He really wants to get that position, but the stupid old fool simply won't let him...

"Ah, right. I have heard that you get a new staff member every year... Well, enough talk about Hogwarts! You never told me how you've been. Are you... you know, are you seeing someone?" Y/N suddenly asks.

That surprises Severus - he didn't expect that. He clears his throat. "I have been... okay, I suppose. And no, I'm not seeing anyone" he states.

For some reason, that seems to upset Y/N. He raises an eyebrow at that. Is she sad for him?