At Least He's Happy (SS)

Introduction:
Y/N Y/L/N is at her best friend Severus Snape's wedding. She however wishes she was the one he was going to marry - she has feelings for her best friend and is afraid to tell him. Will she do anything about it or try to move on?

PS: This is a request from JeanTheBear here on Wattpad. Thank you for your request!

Word count: 827

Published: 6/1/2022
———————————————

Author's note:
Sorry for the delay! This one is sadly the shortest one shot I have written. I thought it was perfect the way it is and couldn't think of what else to add. I hope you enjoy!
———————————————

TW: Angst (not a happy ending) and death

Y/N Y/L/N is joining the other guests to witness a wedding. It's not just any wedding - it's her best friend's wedding.

Severus Snape is getting married to a woman he started going on a date with almost six months ago. His other best friend, Lucius Malfoy, set up the date as he didn't want his friend to be alone forever.

It seemed to work as Severus agreed on several dates with the woman. And now, they are getting married. Everyone is so happy for them.

There's just one problem - somebody else loves the Potions Master. Somebody who has known him since his time as a Hogwarts student - Y/N.

She has had feelings for her best friend for years - it started as a crush in their third year and became more serious in their fifth. He is the first and only person she has ever fallen in love with.

She has never dared to tell him about her feelings, though - she's afraid of his reaction. Would he laugh at her? Would he be disgusted?

She doesn't want to ruin their friendship.

She has kept her secret for years without anyone knowing - not even Lucius and Narcissa who are their friends. She hasn't told anyone.

Now, being here at Severus' wedding, Y/N can't help but feel her heart ache. She wishes that she was the one who's going to marry him.

All the guests sit down on their seats as the ceremony begins. They have decorated the place beautifully. They decided to celebrate outside as the weather is absolutely beautiful.

As Severus and his soon-to-be wife approach, Y/N tries her best not to cry. Especially not when they make the vow to love and protect each other.

When Severus says "Yes", Y/N lets her tears fall. However, as everybody is crying as well, nobody suspects it. They probably think they are happy tears.

When Lucius looks at his friend, he widens his eyes. He excuses himself to his wife before approaching Y/N. He looks at Severus before looking at her.

"Y/N... Please don't tell me..." he whispers, not being able to finish his sentence. He can't believe it - how did he and his wife not notice this earlier?! Y/N is in love with Severus!

As Y/N sees Severus smile at his wife while looking so happy, she gives a sad smile.

"At least he's happy. That's all that matters" she whispers, sniffling.

She then looks at Lucius. "Please don't tell anyone, especially not Severus. I don't want to ruin his happiness nor our friendship" she pleads.

Lucius looks shocked. "But, Y/N-" he says before he's interrupted.

"No buts, Lucius. Please" she begs, pleading with him by looking at him with her puppy eyes.

He sighs. "If this is really what you want..." he hesitantly says.

Y/N sighs. This isn't what she wants, but it needs to be kept a secret to ensure Severus' happiness. She will just have to move on somehow.

All the guests cheer when Severus kisses his wife. At that, Y/N blinks away her tears.

"Excuse me" she mutters before she leaves somewhere quiet.

Once she's sure that she's alone, she cries. She cries for a long time. Her heart is broken, but she needs to ignore it. She has to move on, for both her and Severus' sake.

Will time heal her heart?

The answer to that is no. Y/N never got over it, she never moved on - in fact, she never got married nor had any children.

Lucius kept his promise - he never told Severus about her feelings for Severus.

Well, that was until she died before any of her friends.

She was so depressed that she died because of her broken heart. She couldn't take it anymore - whenever she looked at Severus, his wife and their beautiful children, she had to do her best not to cry.

She died regretting not confessing her feelings.

That however isn't the saddest part - when Y/N was dying, Lucius broke the promise and told Severus.

The Potions Master was heartbroken when he heard the truth.

Not just because his friend was dying because of her love for him, but because he felt the same. He thought she would never love him back and therefore agreed to the date that Lucius arranged.

Once Severus heard that his best friend felt the same, he rushed to the hospital.

It was however too late - Y/N Y/L/N was already dead.

He cried his heart out while hugging his dead friend tightly. "I love you too..." he whispered through his sobs.

Y/N and Severus both regretted not confessing their feelings, and Lucius regretted not seeing their love for each other much sooner.

He had to live knowing that he was accidentally the cause of this rather than being the solution. He should have never kept that promise, and he deeply regretted that.
———————————————

Author's note:
The next one shot "Let Me Take Care of You" (SS) will be published on 6/13/2022!