Meet Your Fiancée (Zuko)

Introduction:
Zuko's parents tell him that they have found a suitable partner for him. How will the Fire Prince react? And will he be happy with his parents' decision?

This is a request from SophiaP_05. Thank you for your request!

I hope you enjoy!

Published: 3/24/2023
———————————————

Word count: 972
Warning: Arranged marriage, scars and siblings mocking each other

It's an ordinary day in the Fire Nation. Zuko is inside his room, relaxing. That is until his sister walks inside without knocking.

"Father and Mother are asking for you, Zuko. Don't keep them waiting" Azula says, an evil grin on her face.

Zuko is puzzled. Azula seems to know what they want to talk to him about, and knowing her, she would only be grinning like that if it meant something bad for him. But what could it be?

The Fire Prince decides to find out and leaves his room, finding his parents in the throne room. He bows. "Father, Mother. You wanted to speak to me?" he asks.

His father nods. "Yes, Zuko. We'll make it short. Your mother and I have found you a suitable partner. You will meet the girl and her parents tomorrow" Ozai states.

Zuko is merely staring at them, taking in what his father just said. A girl? Suitable partner? Tomorrow?!

Seeing his expression, his mother gives him a reassuring smile. "She's a nice girl, Zuko. I'm sure you two will be happy together" she gently says.

Zuko doesn't say anything. Instead, he slowly nods before walking back to his room. He barely gets to comprehend what they just told him before Azula approaches him, smirking.

"Aww, is Zuzu going to have a fiancée? Cute" she mocks.

That makes him angry. "Don't call me that!" he snaps, fireballs in his hands.

She laughs in a taunting tone. "Enjoy your last day alone. I bet she's ugly and stupid. They probably found someone much older, too" she says, not helping his inner thoughts.

The idea scares Zuko even more. What if she's right? What if they did find him someone ugly, stupid and older than him? His mother assured that the girl was nice, though. She wouldn't lie to him, right?

As Azula leaves her brother alone, the boy sighs loudly. He doesn't want to marry anybody they have chosen for him! He hasn't even met the girl! What if they'll hate each other?

He decides to seek advice from the only person he can count on besides his mother - his uncle, Iroh.

He slowly knocks on his door. "Come in" Iroh states.

When Zuko enters, he sees that his uncle is playing Pai Sho while drinking tea. The boy chuckles to himself. Of course he's playing Pai Sho, he's always playing Pai Sho.

"Ah, Zuko. Would you like a cup of tea?" Iroh offers.

Zuko nods. "Yes, thank you" he says.

Iroh pours him a cup before handing it to him. Zuko takes a sip and smiles. "Your tea is always the best, uncle" he states.

Iroh smiles as well. "Why thank you, I'm glad you like it. So, what's on your mind?" he questions before moving a piece on the Pai Sho board.

Zuko sighs. "My parents... They have arranged my marriage. Tomorrow I have to meet the girl who's apparently my fiancée..." he explains.

"I see... And you fear you won't be happy together?" his uncle asks.

The boy immediately nods. "Exactly! I want to make my father proud and my mother happy, but what if I won't be happy? What if we both will be miserable? And what if we won't like each other? I don't want to meet her and get married" he exclaims, groaning.

"You must give it a chance, Zuko. You cannot know you won't like the girl if you don't at least meet her and get to know her" Iroh tells him, sipping on his tea.

Zuko considers his uncle's words for a moment. He decides to take his advice - perhaps he should at least give it a chance and meet the girl.

"Thanks, Uncle. I'll give it a chance" the boy says, feeling determined. Iroh merely smiles.

Hopefully tomorrow won't be too bad for the Fire Prince.
______________________________

The next day, Zuko and his parents are waiting for the guests to arrive.

While Zuko is feeling nervous, Azula only makes it worse. "She will probably run away when she sees your scar, Zuzu" she mocks.

Before Zuko can even think of regretting it and running away, the guests arrive.

When Zuko spots her, he almost forgets how to breathe. She's neither ugly nor old like Azula said - she's the same age as he is, and she's very beautiful. She seems shy, too.

"Zuko, meet your fiancée. This is Y/N" his mother gently says, introducing her.

The girl shyly smiles. "Hello" she says, waving.

"Hello..." Zuko mutters, a bit shy as well.

"Why don't you two get to know each other while we discuss your future?" her father suggests.

Nodding, the two soon-to-be couple go somewhere private where they can talk. At first, they are both too shy to even talk. But as they get to know each other, it only gets easier for them to communicate.

Zuko learns that not only is Y/N beautiful, but she's smart as well. She's also a nice person. Y/N thinks that Zuko is funny which makes him blush.

He looks down on the ground as he gets a little conscious about his looks. "So... You are not horrified by my face?" he quietly questions.

Y/N shakes her head. "Of course not. If anything, I think it looks cool" she says, referring to his scar that his father gave him.

That surprises Zuko. "Really?" he asks, looking dumbfounded.

She smiles. "Yes, really" she says, sounding sincere.

By the end of the day, they both quickly realise that they like each other. The two of them will definitely be happy together.

Zuko is glad that he took his uncle's advice and gave it a chance. Thanks to him, the Fire Prince made his parents proud and found love and happiness for himself. He can always count on his uncle.
———————————————

Author's note:
The next one shot "Freeing the Enemy" (Valtor) will be published on 4/8/2023!