Macaque vs Monkey King x reader part 3

You nearly jumped out of your skin but halted when they spoke.

"Easy kid, easy. It's just me." Macaque assured with an amused grin.

"Macaque! You scared the crap out of me!" You huffed with a glare.

"Well if you'd pay attention-" Macaque gestured to a river just Infront of you. "I wouldn't have to scare you."

You backed away from the river anxiously.

"Sorry, I guess I should have looked where I was going." You apologized with a nervous smile.

Macaque chuckled and started walking with you, his hands buried in his pockets. A comfortable silence filled the space between the two of you as you walked. And the world seemed so calm.

That was until a question started percolating in your mind. You attempted to ignore it and just take in the beauty of the night, but it pressed at you.

"Macaque?"

"Hm?"

"Were you spying on me?"

Macaque glanced at you with a shocked look, then glanced away with a forced grin.

"Heh, you caught me. I just wanted to check up on you. Hope I didn't scare ya."

You shook your head.

"No, it was...confusing. But it didn't scare me. Until I nearly took a late night swim." You smiled at at him. "But I'm glad you were there to catch me before I fell."

Macaque's shoulders tensed ever so slightly and his tail began to flick. Were you imagining it, or was that a blush on his cheeks?

Macaque smirked at you. Suddenly you felt his tail curl around your hips and tug you against him just in time to dodge a falling plant pot.

You squeaked a bit in shock and your cheeks ignited red.

"Careful." Macaque chided falsely. "Wouldn't want you to get hurt."

You looked up to see where the pot had come from and caught a brief glance of the shadows fleeing from a window sill.

"You did that on purpose!" You accused with a laugh.

"Oh did I?" Macaque asked leaning close. "Prove it."

"You little-" You tugged his scarf up over his eyes and took off in a run laughing.

"Oh is that how it's gonna be?" You heard Macaque ask behind you playfully. "Alright then, I'm game."

Meanwhile

Monkey King drank his boba tea as he wandered around the darkened city. Peach flavored boba always helped him to think.

He knew y/n from somewhere, he just couldn't place it. And Macaque's behavior was odd. He never simply spied on someone. He rarely even came close to his opponent unless he was ready to strike.

'checking up' on M.k was a flat out lie. Monkey King knew Macaque better than that. Despite what Macaque thought. But if he wasn't there for M.k, what was he doing there?

It was that moment when he saw Y/n dash around the corner and dodge as Macaque lunged at her.

Monkey King's eyes flashed and he took off towards you.

You giggled as you dodged Macaque's attempts to grab you. Sticking your tongue out at him after a particularly impressive escape.

"You cheeky little brat!" Macaque shouted as he attempted to trip you with his tail.