Monkey King x self conscious reader

It hadn't been an issue at first. She had simply waved off his compliments before. But they seemed to make her smile. Then summer ended and she'd gone back to school in the fall semester.

Monkey King hadn't been too aware of the subtle changes at first. His attention more drawn to M.k's excited stories of heroism and training him. Admittedly, Y/n had somewhat faded to the background.

When the semester ended Y/n and Monkey King suddenly had time to hang out again.

"Pfft sweetheart, it's only a jacket." Monkey King teased playfully holding her hoodie out of reach with his tail.

Y/n reached for the hoodie almost desperately.

"Sun it isn't funny!" She shouted snatching the hoodie from his grip the instant his reflexes laxed.

She pulled the hoodie over her head and hugged it against her form self consciously.

"I already know you don't have to mock me."

Hold up. Mock? He hadn't meant to mock her. Heck it was 26 ° Celsius (80° Fahrenheit) today. How wasn't she overheating? It was the only reason he had stolen the hoodie in the first place.

"Mock you? Y/n, what would I mock you about?" Monkey King leaned around her hood to see her face.

Y/n stiffened some. It was a moment before she spoke.

"Well my face obviously." She gave a forced laugh.

"What?" Monkey king asked his tone dangerously quiet.

"I mean I know I'm ugly, sun." She sighed. "I just hoped.... Maybe you wouldn't mock me with it too."

Too?! Who had told her that? Mocked his y/n? That was a death sentence.

"Y/n you're not ugly." Monkey King stated folding his arms over his chest. "You're beautiful."

She scoffed. And monkey King's jaw dropped.

"Did you just scoff at me?!" He gasped.

Y/n shrugged.

"Maybe. That's what you get for being sarcastic."

Monkey King's tail flicked agitatedly.

"I wasn't sarcastic." He injected a level of venom into his words to ensure they made it through her wall of disbelief. "I meant what I said. You're beautiful."

Y/n gave him a dubious look but Monkey King kept up his stern look.

"Now." He knelt in front of her. "Who was mocking you?"

Y/n's lips tightened into a thin line as determination sparked in her eyes.

"Y/n." Monkey king warned.

But the stubborn little spitfire folded her arms and looked away.

"Tons of people. And besides they were right. You can't blame someone for being right."

Monkey king cocked an eye brow.

"And you think they were right."

You wilted slightly. Your bullies' words ringing in your ears. You lifted a hand and tugged down the hood.

"I see." Monkey king mused.

Suddenly you felt his tail curl around your lower back and you stumbled as he tugged you over.

"Y/n, you can hate how you look till the day you die-" Monkey king began holding your shoulders. "But you don't get to decide how I view you, and to me-" his gaze softened and his eyebrows rose to give you a gentle loving look. "To me, you're the most beautiful woman in the world." He chuckled. "And I have been around a long time."

He pulled you against his chest gently cradling your head with a hand.

Some part of your resolve cracked then crumbled as tears you'd been ignoring all fall semester came in torrents down your cheeks as you buried your face in his shoulder.

What you hadn't seen was the fierce glow of his golden eyes. No, he shouldn't punish someone for being right, but he could punish someone for being wrong. Dead wrong.

*Sorry it's short! This was requested so freaking long ago by PooPeeKirikuXY *