Syntax x abused reader

Your coughing fit stole Syntax's attention from his work. He tilted his head at first, then threw you a glance over his shoulder.

"I thought I told you to rest."

You rubbed at your right eye sleepily.

"That's the pot calling the kettle black." You scoffed lightly.

Syntax set down his tools.

"In a manner of speaking, I am somewhat nocturnal." He took the first aid kit from the table and walked over to you. "You, on the other hand, are not."

"Oh did I thrash too much again?" You inquired with a guilty frown as he knelt next to your cot and began to replace the bandages on your arms.

"Mhm." He pulled his goggles over his eyes to remedy his far sightedness. "You kept apologizing as well. I was tempted to wake you, but then you went quiet. I assumed you had passed the worst of it."

"And my coughing gave me away?"

Syntax gently pressed your chin up to inspect the bandages around your throat.

"Indeed."

"What time is it?" You glanced around the room looking for a clock but found none.

"It's almost 4 in the morning." Syntax responded casually packing up the kit again.

Fatigue slammed against your senses forcing you to lay down.

"Syntax?"

He hummed over his shoulder as he put away the kit.

"Thank you." As your eyes slid closed you heard his light chuckle.

"Sleep well, y/n."

Some time later.

You awoke to a light tapping sound. You blinked slowly and sat up. The room's appearance was slightly brighter, but not much due to being in a cave.

"Morning." Syntax greeted as he walked over. "May I check your bandages?"

You nodded and allowed him to check each.

"No blood is seeping through, that's a good sign." He muttered then reached for something behind you.

A mental image of your father reaching for you flashed behind your eyes and you flinched. The movement was slight, but Syntax caught on to it.

He paused and studied you a moment. Then he retracted his hand and stepped around you carefully. Still he kept himself in your line of sight knowing you couldn't stand people standing behind you.

Guilt pricked you. His adjustment had been minor, but you hated to inconvenience him nonetheless.

"Syntax, I'm really sorry." You apologized as he walked back to his desk.

"For?" He glanced back at you curiously.

"Being annoying." You mumbled rubbing your upper right arm.

Syntax rose an eyebrow.

"I don't see how you have been annoying in any sense of the word."

You weren't sure how to explain what you meant so you simply let your gaze drop.

Syntax studied you and opened his mouth to speak when the lab doors opened suddenly.

Your heart felt as though it stopped in your chest at the sudden movement.

"Y/n! How's my sweet niece doing?"

You fidgeted on the cot glancing at Syntax who has taken a knee at the Queen's entrance.