monster apocalypse reader x monkey King

A scream escaped your lips as the monster lunged for your throat. Desperately, you pulled the trigger. Blood and other nasty bits flew everywhere and the body landed limply at your knees.

Gasping for air you scrambled to your feet and dropped a few books into your backpack before running from what was left of your parent's library.

You weren't sure what had possessed you to go back. But you needed books. They were all that kept you going. You shut the door to your base quickly and locked it.

Breathing came more steadily now. Then came the frustration.

"I'm so stupid!" You growled. "I almost died and for what?! A book?!" You tossed a glance at your backpack filled to the brim with books. You wanted to be angry. But you'd spent a month in solitude. Electricity had went down over a month ago. You couldn't leave the bunker, and worst of all, you were all alone.

You walked to the backpack and knelt next to it. Perhaps, you weren't stupid. Only desperate. Another reason you missed everyone.

Your family had died months ago. The pain still tore at you and you fought to forget the memories, but not the people. Atleast not the way they used to be.

Tears began brimming and you glanced at the clock. The sun would set soon. The monsters would be far more active at night. It was difficult to sleep knowing they lurked just outside the bunker. A few pounded on the walls and doors.

So you lifted a book with golden letters.

"Journey to the West huh?" You mumbled. "Please take me with you." You opened the book and in an instant a blinding light enveloped you.

Your first thought was panic. Light drew the monsters. But a scream would be a death sentence. So you tensed, and tried to slam the book shut silently. Except you no longer held the book. The ground under you vanished, and you fell.

Birds song touched your ears while you lay on the grass. The sun warmed your face and you tried to think of the last time you heard birds. Then it struck you. Grass, Sun?! You were outside and unconscious! Both together were death sentences.

Instantly your eyes shot open, and instantly you regretted it. The sun light slammed into your retinas making you have to close your eyes just as rapidly.

You sat up and blinked slowly, allowing your eyes to adjust. That was when you heard a branch snap.

You snapped your eyes open fully and saw a humanesque form walking towards you. It was shadowed as your gaze hadn't fully adjusted. Panic racked up your veins and you pulled your gun from it's holster. You took aim and-

"A little girl, huh? You guys had me worried for a second there."

"Monsters can't talk." You muttered in confusion. Finally, your gaze adjusted. Only about six paces away stood a monkey- human thing.

"I wouldn't know." He mused with a shrug leaning back on his tail. "Never met one to strike up a conversation."

"You're not going to eat me." You promised yourself breathlessly.

The monkey quirked a brow with a grin.

"Nah humans scream too much."

You flinched.

His grin faltered.

"Kid, I'm... I'm only joking."

You glanced around taking in your surroundings. Where were you? A forest surrounded you and you tried to think back. Then you remembered the book.

"Oh...I must be dreaming." You mumbled easing a bit.

"What? Kid-"

You touched the grass tentatively.