Red Son x Kitsune part 3

You glanced at the horizon watching the sun slip out of sight.

"We'd best set up camp."

"No!" Red Son snapped. "We don't have time."

You glanced at him with a risen eyebrow.

"How sick is your father?"

Red Son flinched and then growled at you.

"Look, we won't make it out tonight. And if I'm too tired I won't be able to heal your father properly. You might as well rest."

Red Son huffed and folded his arms while you collected firewood. Of course he should have been helping you, but you decided to let it slide after glancing at him. If you weren't mistaken, Red Son's frustration slowly melted into a worried doubt.

Guilt pricked at you heart. He was just trying to save his father. Of course he'd been a brat and if he'd only given you the respect you deserved, neither of you would be in this situation. But then, if you would have had the chance, wouldn't you have done anything to save your parents?

"Your father." You began snapping him from his thoughts. "What is he like?"

Red Son grinned as he sat down.

"He is the most powerful demon ever known!" He bragged. "When he was young he-"

Red Son started into a long rant about his father's accomplishments. Then he bragged about his mother and how terrifying and powerful she was.

You had to restrain a smile as you watched him light up. Despite his lack of powers a fire still seemed to burn behind his eyes. The blaze ignited a warmth through you as you realized how deeply he loved his family.

Suddenly, Red Son seemed to realize his rambling. He paused then glanced away.

"And they are relying on me. I will not fail them again."

You sighed.

"Why didn't you just go to the village and ask for help?"

Red Son rolled his eyes.

"I didn't even know you had a village. But-" he glanced at you. "Why weren't you at your village? I've never heard of a kitsune traveling alone."

You blew out a sigh.

"I'm not....a normal kitsune." You muttered.

Red Son's eyes flicked over your form with a dubious look.

Butterflies exploded in your stomach with his reaction.

"If you must know, it's because my magic is silver instead of blue." You hugged your knees. "They say it's a bad omen."

Red Son scoffed.

"That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard."

You snickered.

"That's what I said!"

Red Son glanced at your smile then turned away.

"I thought you wanted to sleep."

You blinked then shrugged laying down. You shut your eyes and slowly let sleep overcome your senses.

Hours later

"Fox girl!" Red Son shouted snapping you from your slumber. You sat up abruptly, which caused you to barely dodge a crossbow bolt.

The bolt buried itself into the dirt where your head had once lay. In a moment you were on your feet and looking for a quick escape.