Macaque x monkey hybrid reader

Macaque watched the young girl with piqued interest as she dodged her uncle's attacks. She was far faster than a normal human. This he had learned first hand. When she attempted to swipe his lantern two weeks prior.

Macaque observed the conversation between M.k and the little dragon girl for a few minutes from a nearby alleyway. That was until the young girl turned the corner and ran right into him. Her hand slipped into his cloak,unlatched his lantern, and vanished all in under a moment.

"Oh!" The girl gasped feigning a backward stumble. "Forgive me, I didn't see you there."

Macaque felt the urge to kill her for the blatant lie. But something about her eyes made him pause.

"Heh, it's alright, kid." He excused allowing his eyes to drift over her. She wore a thick cloak with a hood that covered the top of her head. Her face held innocent features and breathtaking eyes. He contemplated calling her out and asking, or demanding rather, his lantern. But where was the fun in that?

No, she'd begun this game. He would finish it.

Macaque stepped aside allowing her to pass.

The girl's face quickly turned from innocence to confusion with a hint of guilt.

'Too late for guilt now, kiddo.' Macaque thought with a grin as she passed him.

"Thank y-" The girl turned after he hid in the shadows. She tensed startled when she didn't see him. Then took off in a run.

"So it begins." Macaque chuckled taking off after her but keeping within the shadows.

The girl was faster than he had expected, so he pressed himself slightly to keep pace.

But then she glanced over her shoulder and jumped to a nearby fire escape. Macaque all but skidded to a stop. Now that wasn't possible. Humans couldn't jump that high.

"A demon." He muttered annoyedly. "Should've known."

The girl seemed to move more freely now jumping between buildings and using laundry lines to swing where she couldn't jump.

Finally, she landed in a small temple grounds.

Macaque grinned.

"Rookie mistake, kid." He jumped to the top balcony and swung inside the first room. It was filled with books, ancient and new. "Quite the library." He mused before peeking into the hallway.

The girl's foot steps sounded on the stairs and Macaque hid.

"Grandpa will love this. It's just like the one in the texts. It's gotta be what he needs." She mumbled to herself entering the library and setting the lantern on a desk.

She glanced at a nearby clock and winced.

"I'm late! I gotta start dinner." She rushed from the room and Macaque walked to the lantern. Swiping it from the desk he returned it to it's rightful place.

Her giggles snapped Macaque from the memory and returned his gaze to the training session.

"Y/n!" Her grandfather protested. "Training is serious business. You must be ready."

The girl giggled and dodged a blow but it caught her cloak and the grandfather tugged. The cloak came off and made the girl stumble disoriented.

That was not what caught Macaque's attention. No, it was her ears and tail. They were strikingly similar to his only black with silver streaked fur. Macaque grinned.

"A hybrid, huh?"

The girl sat on the grass as her grandfather lectured her about seriousness or something. Macaque stopped listening. She was almost cute, in a way. The way her ears flicked towards her grandfather indicating her attention was on him, and how her tail curled and uncurled anxiously.

Macaque chuckled and turned away. Tomorrow was her grocery day. That was when he'd have a chat with the girl. Maybe she could be useful.

The next day

You placed the groceries in your book bag with a smile as the store owner chatted about all the wonderful boys she knew. And how lonely you looked. She was a matchmaker for sure, but you weren't much interested. You had your hands full, a relationship would only complicate things.

You waved goodbye and walked towards your home turning into an alleyway. Only, you ran into something firm. Instantly your backpack vanished from your shoulders when you hit the ground.

"Careful, kiddo." A male voice teased.

An upward glance told you it was the stranger you had seen a couple weeks ago.

"Wouldn't wanna crush your groceries." He offered you a hand helping you to your feet.

"Oh thanks." You mumbled taking the backpack from his hand. "You caught on to me last time huh?"

He rose a brow.

"Clever. You were fast, but you have to work on your subtlety."

You huffed with a pout.

"Hey! I've been working on that move for months."

"And you need to keep practicing." The stranger chuckled.

Guilt pricked you.

"Look, I... I'm sorry I took your lantern. Can I buy you some food to make up for it?"

He grinned.

"Sure thing, kid."

You offered your hand.

"I'm Y/n."

The stranger took your hand.

"Macaque."

*This was a request by KuroAsh6 thank you for letting me write this! It was fun to get into Macaque's head.*