096 - Give it time

*** Ahri POV ***

Sitting across each other, the situation isn't really a good one considering just moments ago we couldn't even look each other in the eye - but she came to me and I don't think I would have said no even if I wanted to.

"Safe to say we are skipping class for this one, huh?" I try to lighten the mood.

She scoffs, "If you give me the option we both know which one I am  going to opt for," she then weakly lifts her gaze, "Will you hear me out?"

I nod, "Not about to walk away from you."

With a nod, "About (Y/N)-"

I stop her, "About him?"

"Do you... you know?"

"Hate him? Want to avoid him?" I chuckle, "No I don't have any negative feelings for him but I - I honestly just wanted to avoid it long enough for it to blow over and go about it how I would normally."

She nods, "I was afraid that my talking about your situation might have just cost him your friendship-"

I lift my shoulders, "It wouldn't have come down to it - I wasn't happy hearing him talk like he was there, but it had to come out of a good place. I didn't run home because I was angry at either of you but I needed time to myself."

"To yourself?"

I chuckle, "It is kinda ironic, ain't it? I sometimes like being on my own, but I hate being lonely."

She breathes out, shaking her head, "It makes me feel so silly. I drive myself up a wall for your sake and you probably never needed me to do anything like that, did you?"

I shake my head, "Don't you dare think that I never needed you, all those times just having someone like you run over the moment something goes south... I appreciate it and will never forget about it."

With a scoff, "Here it looks like I am the one that needs some validation for what I did."

"I don't always talk about it - maybe a part of you thought I didn't want it," I lower my head so that she can see my appreciative smile, "I do appreciate it."

She nods, "But - I want to say sorry for what happened this weekend. In general really," I twist my lips to the side, "I realize that I can be demanding in my own way, I have my hands out begging for love but when I get I just pass it up."

"I was scared for a lot of reasons and most of those reasons I convince myself they never bothered me - but in the end, they were still burning holes through me even if someone mentioned them for a moment."

I lower my gaze, "That is why I got frustrated with you, I think," I shake my head, "I don't really know but that night, I had this realization that made it all feel so stupid that after everything we went through... you were still so distant."

"Stuck in a grave with my own actions," she nods, "I hope I can do right by you... I hope I can do right by Michelle."

I then tilt my head, "What does she have to do with this?"

"I was being unfair, unfair to a lot of people."

"Michelle isn't a good person."

"She was to me," she breathes out, tears in her eyes, "For a long time and I was the one that caught feelings and I was the one that regretted it."

"I was there Evelynn," I sigh, "You can't just convince me that her reaction was justified-"

"She reacted that way for the same reason you got angry with me," she counters, it pretty much shuts me up as she only laughs at herself, "Maybe the way she went about it made it worse, but since when can anyone act rationally when they are that angry?"

"I can't-"

She lifts her gaze with a weak smile, "I really do care for you, I really like you and I think we both know that by now - it was always about not wanting to take that leap because what if we just hurt ourselves again."

"That is your fear," I shake my head, "Not mine."

"I know," she says.

"You make me feel like you aren't there, I know that is expecting a lot from you despite you being next to me but it feels like I am missing out on so much that could have been - it hurts and it feels like I never got the chance to see you again after him, after Michelle."

"You can say his name," she breathes out.

"Saying his name doesn't change anything-"

"But at least it means I am ready to face whatever I have been avoiding," she counters, "Can we... start over?"

"I don't want to start over," I say with a pained expression, "I will lose so much if we did that, why not just move on from it like we are now and just work on the little changes that we need, okay?"

"I didn't know how to phrase it," she admits, "But that is a better idea than what I came up with."

I smile at her, "Small steps."

"And what about you?" she asks, "Do you feel that way? Or have I suffocated that feeling out of you already?"

"Stop using Michelle's words," I plead.

"Please answer me."

I reach over, one hand behind her neck and the other against her jaw to make her look at me, "I love you, Evelynn. I always have and even times when it felt like I shouldn't," I realized that I might have taken a bit of a risky move.

She only nods but doesn't look like she was going to hold back either, but I bring my face closer to hers. Her eyes drop down to my lips for a brief moment which makes me hesitate, I haven't... been this forward and it is making me get cold feet.

Her hand move to my waist, pulling me off of my chair and onto her lap. Holding me around my back I lower my head to just do it. She patiently sits there making me do everything, probably her way of seeing if I am really just doing this for my sake, or hers.

But can't it be both? I finally shut my eyes as I press my lips against hers. Warm and soft, it doesn't feel spiteful and reluctant like the last time. 

I then pull away as I awkwardly breathe out, "We should... this is pretty..."

"I think anybody walking into it wouldn't stop us," she says with a chuckle, "Unless you don't want to take it further."

"We are at school."

"I am aware," she chuckles, "But you are the one on top of me."

"We can stay like this for a bit?" I suggest, "We are already skipping this class and nobody comes in here unless (Y/N) decides to hold a meeting and gather a meeting to get the rest."

"You and (Y/N)..."

"Hm mhm? Are we going to talk about someone else when I am right on top of you?" I then chuckle, "If he wanted to join I might let him," I kiss the side of her cheek, then with a whisper, "But right now, we both probably have to make sure he doesn't think we dislike him."

"We should."

"And Michelle?" I ask.

"She... means well. Has her own way of showing it but... just don't talk about it to her. Please?"

Shutting my eyes, I give her a hug, "I won't, Evelynn."

"Ahri..." she lifts her face, "I know what I said back then but would you please call me Eve."