Chapter 1: An Almost Typical Day in the District

-Maizuru Naval District Gathering Hall-

"Following this schedule, we should be able to accumulate more than enough resources before the next large-scale operation. As such, we will be counting on you expedition team. Patrols are to be rotated every 2 hours. Submarines, assist in laying out the sensors and sea mines around the area at 2130hrs. Those not involved in expeditions, patrol or sorties are to focus on their lessons and training. Don't worry, you guys will get a chance once in a while. That's all. Understood?"

"Yes Sir!" (All)

The whole cafeteria shook just from their response.

"Good! Expedition team and patrolling party, deploy at 1000hrs. Meeting adjourned."

With that, all shipgirls noisily left the hall, and went on to carry out their respective duties. The plan I have for them was theoretically simple. There are 3 fleets in charge of expeditions daily. Each of them will carry out their respective expedition to bring back resources.  A small party of 2 shipgirls will be patrolling the waters starting from 0800hrs in the morning. They will rotate with another party every 2 hours. The roster changes daily to ensure the girls have ample rest and are ready for deployment anytime. By 2130hrs, all of the shipgirls will be back at port and traps will be laid out in the surrounding waters.  These traps will be deactivated and brought back the next morning. This is the pattern the girls will be going through everyday. Well, most of them anyway. The ones with special orders are the main fleet- light cruiser Agano, aviation cruiser Suzuya, destroyers Shigure and Yuudachi and light aircraft carriers Ryuujou and Zuihou.

"Now for mission briefing. I will keep it short since its just another routine order from HQ. The target this time will be the abyssal installation on Ri-Lanka Island. Orders are the ssame as usual. Destroy the Abyssal installation and wipe out any remaining abyssal vessels in the area. That's it from HQ. I too have one order, come back safely, got it? There isn't any time limit for this order to be completed so take your time. If you are heavily damaged, retreat. That is all. Any questions?"

Silence.

"Sortie will start in 1 hours. Dismiss."

Haa~ Just giving out instructions in the morning is already a tiring job, especially since I didn't get much sleep last night. Furthermore, HQ ordered for the Ri-Lanka installation to be destroyed... again! Every month it's the same thing. Why couldn't they just install an outpost there?  Also, why am I the one that has to handle this? That island is so far away from here. Isn't Brunei Anchorage closer to there?

On a more serious note, the location and very nature of this mission worries me. It's not a matter of whether or not the mission was a success, but more on the safety of the girls. Whether or not they will come home safe and sound, the thought of losing another one of them scares me. (-iral...) I don't want to go through that ever again. (-miral...)

"Admiral!!" (Zuihou)

"Huh? Oh what is it?"

Zuihou and Shigure were standing in front of my podium with a worried look on their faces.

"Finally you snapped out of it. What's wrong? You looked depressed all of a sudden." (Zuihou)

"Are you alright?" (Shigure)

"Ah yeah. I'm fine,  just thinking about the mission."

"Really?" (Zuihou)

Argh, I shouldn't have zone out like that. I even forgot that Zuihou was still here. Even Shigure showed up. If I let them see me like this morale will definitely drop. Though,  for some reason, I feel relieved that it's the both of them.

"Let's go, Zuihou. We need to prepare our equipment." (Shigure)

"Alright. Admiral, we will be off then." (Zuihou)

"Both of you, wait."

"Huh?" (both)

I'm not sure whether it was the right thing to do at that time but I just felt like doing it. I wrapped my arms around the both of them and squeeze as tight as possible without hurting them.

Wai... Eh?? Admiral, what's with you all of a sudden?" (Zuihou)

"Admiral?" (Shigure)

"Both of you return safely, alright?"

I can't bear to lose you two again.

"Ah, sure..." (Shigure)

"Geez,  what's with you all the sudden?" (Zuihou)

"Ah. Oh sorry about that. I just felt like hugging you. Ahahaha"

Damn, that was so forced

"Again with your teasing. We better go now. Make sure you do your work Admiral." (Zuihou)

"Yeah yeah."

I watched as the both of them leave the office. I really do hope everyone comes back safely. Whether is it an expedition, patrol, sortie or even a training exercise, there isn't one day where I don't pray that these girls return home safe and sound.

-1300hrs-

It's has been about 3 hours seen the main fleet sortied. I know it takes almost an entire day to complete the trip to and fro, but I still can't help but worry. Ah, the first team should be back by now.

Suddenly the door swung opened. Speak of the devil.

"Yo, Admiral! The expedition fleet has returned!" (Tenryuu)

Tenryuu, the flagship for the first expedition fleet, came budging in.

"Good job."

"Good work. Though, please knock before coming in next time." (Ooyodo)

"Gh! You're the Secretary Ship today, huh. Asashio. Doing that every time is a pain." (Asashio)

"Formalities are a hassle but it will feel lax without them, right?"

"Tch. Alright I got it." (Tenryuu)

I don't want them arguing about rules and whatnot in front of me. Though Tenryuu talks like that, she is pretty cooperative and handles very task I give her responsibly. Asashio, though small, is extremely diligent in her task. She is the textbook example of a model student.

"So, how did it go?"

"A great success, of course!"(Tenryuu)

"Just as expected of you."

"Of course. We don't take expeditions lightly, especially at a time like this." (Tenryuu)

"I will be counting on you as the lifeline of this Naval base."

"Hmph, you can count on me for that!" (Tenryuu)

"As agreed, you will repeat the same expedition at 1600hrs later. For the time being, rest up."

"I will be off then." (Tenryuu)

With that, the office became quiet again. I stared at the report Tenryuu handed me.

"If every expedition was like this, we will have a surplus of fuel, ammo and steel within the next few months." (Asashio)

"What are you, a mind reader?"

Asashio said the same thing as what I was thinking. At this rate, our Bauxite storage will reach an sustainable level at around the same time. If we are lucky, we can find repair buckets on these expeditions. The 3 repair buckets HQ provides daily isn't enough.

As I sat there trying to do the math, the door swung open again.

"Tenryuu, I thought I told you knock th-... " (Asashio)

The one who came in wasn't Tenryuu. It was Ooyodo, and she wore a panicked expression on her face.

"Admiral, this is bad. The main fleet is.... " (Ooyodo)

I felt the blood drain from my face.