Chapter 3: Something Normal

A few days have passed since I requested the the cancellation of the Ri Lanka mission and reported about the mysterious enemy we encountered. HQ approved of the cancellation request and sent us a different task, an interception mission in the Cam Ranh Peninsula. A pretty simple task so I sortied the weaker, less experienced destroyers along with Hiryuu and Souryuu. Hopefully, this can give the young ones some battle experience and slowly build them up for tougher missions in the near future. As for the mysterious enemy roaming near Jam Island, HQ just said they will investigate. For the past few days, the shipgirl's have been doing what they are scheduled to do. When they are free, they frolick around the base, hanging out with one another or going for sweets at Mamiya's Store.

"What a good time to be young."

"Stop acting like a old man and get back to work!" (Zuihou)

Ah I made Zuihou angry.

"Geez, can't you just concentrate on your work? It's because you kept on dilly-dallying, that's why your work always piles up." (Zuihou)

"Hai~ To think that this was the same girl who cried her eyes out and kept apologizing after being forced to retreat a few days ago."

I took a look at how would she react. As expected, her face turned beet-red with embarrassment and she just stood there wincing.

"Geez! For goodness sake, forget about that already!" (Zuihou)

She screamed, smacking me with the clipboard she's holding, which I blocked.

"Ahahahah! Sorry! I'm sorry! I couldn't help it. Your reactions are too cute!"

Ah. I just said someone's line, didn't I?

Zuihou's face turned even redder than before. She stopped for moment before proceeding to continue flailing at me.

"Again with the teasing!" (Zuihou)

After being satisfied, we got back to work,

"Admiral, any news about our latest mission?" (Zuihou)

"Nope, after that interception mission, HQ didn't give any other orders. Which means everything is peaceful for now."

"Hehhhh~ Peace is a good thing but it's definitely boring without anything to do." (Zuihou)

"That's right poi!" (???)

The room became silent for a brief moment.

"Where the heck did you come from?!"

"Yuudachi?!" (Zuihou)

"Surprised? Then it was a success!" (Yuudachi)

Standing right behind me, or rather in front of me since I'm facing her now, is a dirty Yuudachi, the fourth ship of the Shiratsuyu-class destroyers and the other one that acts like a little dog. Compared to Shigure, she is more on the hyperactive, playful and clueless side. Though, when it comes to battles, she is not call the Nightmare of Solomon for nothing.

"So, what did you come here for? And when did you come in?"

"I walked in when Zuihou was hitting you. Both of you looked like you were having fun so I just hid in the corner poi." (Yuudachi)

Yuudachi gestured to the gap between my wardrobe and the wall. She hid in there? No wonder she got dirty. And apparently she chose that moment to sneak up behind me. I grabbed some tissues and begin to clean her up. How did neither of us noticed her?

"Ahh. You got dirty. Stay still so I can clean you up."

"Poi~~" (Yuudachi)

"Yuudachi, what did you come here for?" (Zuihou)