Chapter 6: Great, More Enemies

The whole naval base was in chaos this morning. The blue light which appeared last night and how the black ship was destroyed are hot topics amongst them.

Even HQ was in chaos. It seems that the whole of Japan witnessed it. Other Naval bases are sending in reports and questions regarding the light. Argh... I got a feeling that there is going to be more work.

Yokosuka Naval District, our HQ. are sending in a Combined Task Force to investigate in the general direction where the light supposedly came from. A little overkill, I would say, but better to be safe than sorry. HQ also issued an order for every Naval District to sortie an investigation team and check every area extensively. We were assigned to the Northern Area, the same place Yahagi and the rest encountered the black ship. The investigation will take place from morning 1000 hours to 1900 hours, a whole day.

Taking into account of an possible encounter, either Abyssal or inorganic, Zuihou, Shouhou, Shigure, Shiratsuyu, Mogami, and Agano will be deployed to handle the investigation. I will send Suzuya, Kumano, Tenryuu, Kuma, Yuudachi and Shimakaze to act as an Escort fleet and assist with any retreats.

During the briefing, all of them were anxious. Can't blame them, with everything going on, they are confused as well. Aircraft will be used to cover the designated investigation area as much as possible. En route to said area, the same aircraft will scout and ensure we have eyes in the sky at all times. We don't want to risk getting ambushed.

"Investigation fleet 1 has been deployed! Investigation Fleet 2 beginning deployment!" (Ooyodo)

"Fleet 2, keep a distance from fleet 1 and maintain speed. That means you Shimakaze. Don't speed off on your own now! Make sure not to clash with fleet 1."

"How mean!" (Shimakaze)

"Flagship Zuihou, reporting in! We have spotted a small Abyssal fleet west of our location. 2 Destroyer Ro-class and 1 Light Cruiser He-class. They haven't spotted us. Should we engage?" (Zuihou)

A small abyssal patrol. Regardless, the main plan is to avoid any Abyssal ships if possible until we reach the Northern Area.

"Skirt around them. Do not engage."

"Roger!" (Zuihou)

The two fleets carried on till they reach the investigation area.

"Fleet 1 has entered the Investigation area." (Ooyodo)

"Fleet 1, first, investigate the Moray Seas, then Kiss Island, followed by Alfonsino. Lastly, comb the waters in this area. Fleet 2, follow the exact same route. Note for anything out of the ordinary including abyssal behavior. Most importantly, do not engage any enemies. If you get spotted, then don't give them a chance to react. Eliminate them immediately. If that's not possible, retreat. Our main goal is just investigation. Let's make this quick so we can go home."

"Understood." (All)

I watched as both fleets followed the investigation route set for them. So far nothing really worth noting. Though there is one thing that concerns me- the lack of Abyssal fleet in the area. Normally at least one Abyssal fleet would attack us once we entered the area. This time, there are none.

"Odd..." (Shouhou)

"It's too quiet." (Shigure)

"We going too slow!" (Shimakaze)

"Wasn't there a big fight with a large ship yesterday at this location? Should we investigate the wreck?" (Shiratsuyu)

"We could, if there is any in the first place. Whole damn thing just disappeared after exploding. Not a single debris in sight. Much less a corpse."