Chapter 48: A Moment's Respite

With phase 1 completed, it was time for the guys over at Yokosuka to do their part. Phase 2 is similar to Phase 1; sink the European Princess. Until then, we can focus on upgrading our arsenal and maybe have some free time to ourselves.

"Um... Admiral, is this it?" (Zuihou)

"What is?"

I got a confused Zuihou on my lap. We have been so busy that we barely had any time together. A moment's respite like this is just what I need in this stressful period.

I think she is referring to what I said yesterday about punishing her.

"I didn't say when."

Right now, I just want to spend time with Zuihou.

"You don't like it?"

"N-no. I'm happy you are hugging me but..." (Zuihou)

"But?"

"What if people walk in on us?" (Zuihou)

True. Us hugging like this at my desk in plain sight is a recipe for disaster if someone walks in. A big if, that is.

"Don't worry. I have the doors locked and the curtains drawn. If someone were to come in, they would need to knock first. That will give us plenty of time to act natural."

"Huh. That's a pretty smart plan of yours." (Zuihou)

"I wouldn't be a Commander if I wasn't good at coming up with plans, would I?"

"If only you put in the same amount of effort when it comes to your documents. Hyah! Nh!" (Zuihou)

"Did you forget my hands can easily access your hanger in this position?" (Zuihou)

"Nha~ Wait~" (Zuihou)

I feel something soft and pointy while messing around her supposed 'hangers'.

"I just touched them a bit and they're already like this. I always knew these parts are sensitive despite their humble size."

Zuihou turned and glared at me while pouting. Maybe I went a little too far in my teasing. I quickly stopped and retuned back to simply hugging her.

"Sorry."

"Geez! You are always like this." (Zuihou)

"My bad. You're just so cute I couldn't help myself."

"Flattery will get you nowhere." (Zuihou)

Even though she says that, I know she is happy.

We stayed like this for a while, sharing our body heat in this air-conditioned room.

"A-Admiral." (Zuihou)

"Hmm?"

"Isn't it high time we get back to work?" (Zuihou)

"Don't wanna."

"Come on. The finance branch will get angry again." (Zuihou)

"Who cares about them?"

I had already done the battle report for the phase 1 mission. I have another large stack of documents that require my desperate attention. If I don't submit them by the end of the week, the entire IJN will collapse and the Abyssals will takeover the world. At least, that's what is in the mind of the Finance branch. Seriously, if I don't submit this stack of monthly financial and budget reports in the sequence they want, the guys over at Finance will raise hell and scream their brains out like it's the end of the world. Even a single yen is so valuable and worth several weeks of interrogation if it was missing. I swear, those guys are just paid to stare at numbers and have a stick up their asses the whole time. While I appreciate the fact that they are the ones providing us the funds for our activities and our salary, just chill.

"I will help you. Come on. Let's get to work." (Zuihou)

Speaking of which, we haven't been on a date since we became a couple.

"Say, Zuihou. After this whole operation, wanna go somewhere?"

"Hm? Where is this coming from?" (Zuihou)

"I'm saying, want to go on a date? Maybe some place where no one can catch us. A place far from Maizuru. Okay, maybe not that far but just far enough to be called a day trip. Just the two of us."

I can see Zuihou's eyes lit up,

"Yeah! Let's!" (Zuihou)

Zuihou spun around and wrapped her arms around me.

Looks like I will start making plans for our date. That's one thing to look forward to.

The table tilted away before falling back into position loudly as Zuihou kicked excitedly. Most of the documents and some trinkets that were on the table scattered all over the floor.

"Ah."

"Oops." (Zuihou)

"What are you doing?"

"Ehe~" (Zuihou)

She winked and playfully stuck out her tongue.

"What do you mean 'ehe'?"

The both of us got up and picked up the scattered sheets of paper. The door to my office suddenly rattled,

"Eh? Huh? It's locked?" (???)

"Who is it?"

"It's Ooyodo." (Ooyodo)

I looked at Zuihou and gave a nod.

"The door's open, right?"

"No. It's locked." (Ooyodo)

I went to unlock the door and let her in,

"Huh. That's weird."

"Why is it so messy here?" (Ooyodo)

"There was a large gust of wind earlier."

"You opened the window while leaving the air-conditioning on?" (Ooyodo)

"Erm..."

Act dumb.

"The large gust of wind came from the AC."

Not that dumb!

I can hear an audible smack from behind me.

"Zuihou, why did you hit yourself?" (Ooyodo)

"I felt a mosquito land on me." (Zuihou)

What kind of excuse is that?

Ooyodo let out a sigh,

"Zuihou, please keep an eye on Admiral and don't let him influence you." (Ooyodo)

"I know." (Zuihou)

"Anyway, I have a telegram from Yokosuka Naval District." (Ooyodo)

"What does it say?"

"Force H has penetrated the enemy front lines. They have successfully forced the Armoured European Princess to retreat for now. They will be going for the 2nd round in the evening." (Ooyodo)

"It's barely 3pm though?!"

"It's no surprise. Yokosuka is a powerhouse after all. I would love to visit my birthplace one day." (Zuihou)

...

"Then, just apply for shore leave. Under Chapter 3, Section 5 of the KSR Charter, we are entitled to 21 days of annual leave. You should have 4 months worth of shore leave by now." (Ooyodo)

The Kanmusu Special Rights Charter, or KSR Charter, is a special set of laws that empower and protect the rights of Kanmusu under the IJN banner.

"But we can still be called back into service midway through our vacation."

"Only if the country is in state of emergency and in a code red event. The only things that can force the Diet to declare this state is either war or if the Abyssals attack the mainland. With our current defensive measures, I reckon it won't happen in the next few years."

Ooyodo jogged a stack of fallen documents and placed them neatly on the desk. Oh crap. She is scanning them.

"Admiral. You better finish these finance and budget reports by this week. Otherwise, they are going to be a real pain in the butt." (Ooyodo)

"Alright alright. I'll do it."