Chapter 13: Self-control and Remembrance

Sirens... Wisdom cubes... Azur Lane... Red Axis... An ongoing war similar to ours...

This is quite a bit to take in.

In summary, Azur Lane was a coalition of Shipgirls from various factions established to fight against the Sirens. The Sirens are Eldritch entities which ironically gave their enemies the means to fight. Their goal is currently unknown. Both Azur Lane and the Sirens utilize something known as Wisdom Cubes, which make up the bulk of the equipment and powers. Summoning their namesake warships is something all of them are capable of thanks to the Wisdom Cubes.

According to Nagato-chan, who has since left, it was due to ideological differences which led to the split of Azur Lane. The Sakura Empire and Ironblood established the Red Axis and allied themselves with the Sirens. Now, Nagato-chan has made it her mission to stop the war between Azur Lane and Red Axis so as to focus on their common enemy. She is definitely hiding a lot more information but this much is enough for now. They have their own battle to fight, we have ours. Though I would appreciate it if they didn't drag us into their war. Not only do we have to handle the Abyssals, now there are Sirens roaming the seas. And the ones we encountered so far are known as 'Mass-produced' types, essentially the cannon fodder of the group. There are Executors and Elites as well. Their ranks are similar to our various classes of Abyssals. Who knows how much stronger those types are. Another thing worthy to note is the fact that their war was taking place in the 1940s before being teleported to this world of ours. Their technology is more sophisticated and advanced than ours in the same time period.

"Should I put all these into a report?"

If I do, the others will be informed of the situation. This is important and will definitely alleviate the confusion all of us are having. The issue is, how do I write it? Do I even want to write it?

"What do you think, Zui...hou..."

"Zzz..." (Zuihou)

The CVL is sleeping on the couch. That's rare. Usually she would wait for me or pester me to sleep early. Well, even if I asked her, she would tell me to do it. It's late, so I will just put it aside for now.

I walked over to the small girl and squatted down next to her. Good thing these navy trousers have enough room to do so.

"Fuu~" (Zuihou)

Cute.

Zuihou's petite chest heaved as she slept peacefully. I poked her cheeks and as if in response, she twitched her nose and lips. What is this cute creature? Why do the girls here have to be so adorable? Some are sexy, some are cute, some are adorably sexy. Some make me want to tease and bully them. Like this one over here. Should I mess with her hanger for a bit?

No. Alright. Cut it out. This is not the time to be fantasizing about all this. You can have your own private time later. Besides, it's illegal to do such things to a defenseless girl. Moreover, you know damn well she is different.

I should carry her back to her room. After a bit of twisting my body to make sure the small girl is safely on my back, I piggybacked her and walked out of the office. Damn. Her butt is soft. I can't help but squeeze it a little.

"Nhmm..." (Zuihou)

Ah. Bad idea. Let's just go. I readjusted so that I'm holding her thighs instead. This is nostalgic. I used to do this with her back then. Before she...

As I walked along the corridor, I let my mind wandered to a past not too far off,

{Tenzan is... Ah? Ahn♡ Admiral? Could you stop messing with my hangar?nm♡ I mean, quit it!} (Zuihou in the past)

The times I teased her...

{Don't change me back into a high-speed refueling ship because it isn't allowed.} (Zuihou in the past)

The times I experimented with different equipment on her...

{My bento, will you eat it?} (Zuihou in the past)

The times she cooked for me while I was working till late night...

{All hands....abandon ship... I'm sinking... again... Shouhou? I will... go first... okay? Admiral... Sor...ry.} (Zuihou in the past)

The time she sunk...

Damn it. Damn it! Why did you sink? Why did you have to leave me? Just when I planned to confess to you... I didn't even get a chance to say goodbye. Even though you technically came back, it's not the same. She is not your replacement.

"Ah. I'm already here."

Before I knew it, I had already reached the Carrier Dormitory. Why is it a bit blurry? I walked up the stairs to the second floor where the CVL rooms are located. Because we have such a small number of Carriers and Light Carriers, each of them have their own room. Zuihou's room is located in the middle, between Shouhou's and Ryuujou's. I slowly opened the door and entered. It's so dark. I remember there is a lamp on her modeling table. Let me just... Where is it? Ah. Found it.

I let one of Zuihou's legs drop to search and switch on the lamp. A half done Suisei sits on the table, pieces of its wings laid right beside the body. I adjusted the lamp to point upright so it can illuminate the room for me. It's dim, but just enough for me to make out where her bed is and not crash into the display cabinets and the ridiculous amount of model planes on display in every corner of the room. She has always been obsessed with planes. This is one of the common traits the two of them have.

"There we go."

I laid Zuihou down on her bed. Should I change her out of her clothes and into her pajamas? Nah. I shouldn't. I pulled the blanket up to her chest and tucked her in. If it was...

I shook my head to get rid of such thoughts. It's been years already... I already know. I should let it go by now but it's hard...

"Good night, Zuihou."

As I was about to switch off the lamp, something shiny caught my attention. Sitting on a shelf just above the table was a Type 99 Bomber in metallic coating.

It's still here, in the same spot. I have not seen this for a long time.

{Wow! Admiral, look! It's so cute and cool!} (Zuihou in the past)

{A limited edition model. You like it?}

{Of course! Thank you! I will just set it right over here. Ehehe~ My very first Type 99...} (Zuihou in the past)

"...that I gave you..."

The Type 99 Bomber became blurry as it rested on my palm, my chest feels so tight.

I miss you...  Zuihou...